XF 1.2 New User Registration error

JP1021

I just had someone bring this to my attention, tonight.

When a user tries to sign up for a new account they get this message. I've replicated this myself.

An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.
<!-- Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away -->

There is no server error logged.
www.kavaforums.com

Forums are working just fine, but no new users are able to sign up.

Any ideas where I might start looking first? I apologize for my lack of knowledge but I bet if I can get a starting point I might be able to tackle this.

It's a shared server. We only have like 50 active members and usually only 5 or 6 of them are on at a time. I've checked the server error log, but the mysql server log isn't hosted locally being a shared server. I did notice that when the last few bots were detected and rejected from registering the time on their registration was exceeding 3000 seconds.

Is this consistent? Does the error happen consistently? Does it happen quickly after you submit the form?

The error indicates that the MySQL connection is being closed. This could be a timeout -- there's a MySQL setting that can control this (wait_timeout). Normally, it's set to 86400 seconds (which is 24 hours), but if it would be taken down to a really small value (1-5 seconds say), this could get in the way. That's an unreasonably low number that your host would need to change (30 is not unreasonably low).

Hi!

I have the same problem after upgrading to 1.2.2. No ACP server error log, but just this message when someone tries to register:

Your registration has been rejected. You may contact the administrator if you require further information or assistance.

After upgrading to 1.2.2 I installed only 2 add-on (one for social share buttons and one for live search - so nothing to do with registration form).

I really need help, because really don't know what to do.

UPDATE: found what cause the problem. I need to disable this option in User Registrations settings:

Check new registrations against the StopForumSpam database.

But really don't know why...

UPDATE: found what cause the problem. I need to disable this option in User Registrations settings:

Check new registrations against the StopForumSpam database.

But really don't know why...
Because something in their registration is triggering StopForumSpam (IP address, email address or username). Depending on how strict you have your settings is what it is based upon. If you have it at 1, then any 1 of the above will trigger it. 2 means 2 will and 3 --- well you get the point.

Because something in their registration is triggering StopForumSpam (IP address, email address or username). Depending on how strict you have your settings is what it is based upon. If you have it at 1, then any 1 of the above will trigger it. 2 means 2 will and 3 --- well you get the point.
Thank you. But never had problems before upgrade to 1.2.2.

Found out that my problem was caused by the addon "anyapi" where I had spambusted enabled as a bot protection. Spambusted shut down and was causing my sql connections to time out. Disabled spambusted and I'm back up and running.

Top Bottom