XF 1.5 New To Xenforo - Trying To Understand Permissions

Hi guys, as the titles says, Im new and you have probably heard this a thousand times before. I assume its a permissions issue. but i cant seem to bottom it out. Ive just imported from SMF.

My forum says - "You have insufficient privileges to reply here"

I assume all users are in registered usergroup.
registered usergroup seems to have all permissions set correct.

Next I checked the node Permissions for the node
Registered Usergroup has all the correct permissions to reply

However, when I check individual members prmissions, they have no permission to reply ?? How come the registered users group permissions arent being applied to each user ??

My forum is at this url :

Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing | Whitby Sea Anglers Forums

As well as the guide that @Zynephix has linked you to, you will also find this guide useful:

Understanding Permissions

If you're still having problems, use the Analyse Permissions feature in the ACP to check permissions for individual users and for nodes (if you haven't already done this). You can post screenshots of what you see in this if you still can't get it to work.

It looks to me like the individual users are not taking on the usergroup permissions. Is there a way to make sure all users take on those permissions. Maybe this is linked to the important of my usergroups from SMF which I have now deleted ??

But how come that Registered members have post and reply permissions, and the node is set to post and reply
If the Registered group has post and reply permissions, there should be no need to set them again for that group in node permissions, it can be left set to inherit.

We'll need more details to help further. So it would be useful if you can post screenshots of ACP > Users > Analyse permissions for a user showing 1) their Global permissions for post and reply and 2) Their Node permissions for post and reply.

Right. I changed the node permissions to allow instead of inherit, and now we can post. So I assume the inherited permission were set to no. So the question is which group permissions were set to no ??

Did you not read my last post?

If the Registered group has post and reply permissions, there should be no need to set them again for that group in node permissions, it can be left set to inherit.

Also
We'll need more details to help further. So it would be useful if you can post screenshots of ACP > Users > Analyse permissions for a user showing 1) their Global permissions for post and reply and 2) Their Node permissions for post and reply.

Thanks for your help guys I think i worked it out now. The permissions in a lot of the Nodes were set to revoke. Gone through them individually and I seem to have got things working. Many thanks for your time and patience.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 11.22.28.webp
    Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 11.22.28.webp
    65.8 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom