Lack of interest New Threads should have its own tab

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

AndyB

I would like to see New Threads have it's own tab. The reason is that it's the single most important function on a forum. With that said, the second most important function on a forum is the Forum tab.

One thing I find completely unintuitive is to click the Forum tab when it's already highlighted. We do this when viewing the New Threads results. If there was a separate tab for the New Threads, it would make clicking back and forth between the two most used functions more understandable.

Another benefit of having a New threads tab is that it would be easier to click the larger tab not only on desktops but tablets and mobile phones.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Generally the main tabs purpose is to link to completely different places on a website/ community. Like Home / Forums / Pictures ... So in that sense why would they put a link for new forum content there?

Not disagreeing that "New Threads" is popular and important, but deciding where to place it depends on how your navigation works. If all you have is a forum, then yes it may work.

But if they have confusion with regards to the New Threads link being under the focussed Forums tab then they will have the same confusion with all other links under all other focussed tabs.

Perhaps a very good solution would be to have the secondary link highlighted corresponding to the page you're viewing. So for example after I click the Forums tab, the New Threads secondary link would be highlighted. Then if I want to view the Forums View page, I would click a secondary link called Forum View and it would bring up the forum view page and the link would be highlighted.

Clicking on the Forums tab which is already highlighted shouldn't do anything.

Changing the tabs text dynamically to be the page you are viewing is not only confusing, but would break the logic in several instances. And when the tab would change would be an inconsistent mess (on certain pages it would, on certain pages it wouldn't, etc.).

Edit: This can be ignored. I misread the above post. Reasons I shouldn't read on my phone while walking.

Last edited:
Perhaps a very good solution would be to have the secondary link highlighted corresponding to the page you're viewing. So for example after I click the Forums tab, the New Threads secondary link would be highlighted. Then if I want to view the Forums View page, I would click a secondary link called Forum View and it would bring up the forum view page and the link would be highlighted.

Clicking on the Forums tab which is already highlighted shouldn't do anything.

you are saying that the Tab (Sub-Tab) should be "active" for which page is currently showing up.
This is currently not the case. You are correct in the way that this would be more intuitive....
It would be easy to accomplish with a simple color-change for "Active Subtabs".

:coffee:

Which secondary link should be active now then, while viewing this thread?

maybe the Breadcrumb named "Suggestions: Tweaks & Small Features"

It would be just an "additional help" for the user to understand which page he is currently looking at. I know the Breadcrumbs are there and the big "Title" is there.
But still it does not show the Subtabs or Breadcrumbs as "active", which would give a better distinction of "where you are" in terms of navigation.

I remember I have suggested a similar thing back in 2010..... not sure where it is.

@erich37, Brogan said, the breadcrumbs are separate. And don't have the necessary sub tabs to accomplish that.

The current implementation is simple and includes everything a user needs to understand where they are. 1.2 brought the Navigation Tabs to be more consistent by removing single destination tabs (New Threads).

You however have a non-existent "forum view" sub navigation in your second image. Is that to be added?

Yes, to be added. I'm thinking that would be more intuitive to forum users as it clearly describes the Forum View page and how to view it.

Also note the secondary link remains highlighted even after you move your cursor away from the link.

Yes, to be added. I'm thinking that would be more intuitive to forum users as it clearly describes the Forum View page and how to view it.

Also note the secondary link remains highlighted even after you move your cursor away from the link.

I got used to how XenForo is working after being on here for nearly 3 years :)
..... but I understand your point of view as I remember it was quite confusing for me in the early days as well. So a "novice" user might have difficulty to understand of how the navigation works.

:notworthy:

I got used to how XenForo is working after being on here for nearly 3 years :)
..... but I understand your point of view as I remember it was quite confusing in the early days as well. So a "novice" user might have difficulty to understand of how the navigation works.

:notworthy:

Anyone confused by the navigation both now and in the past should not be using forums. I doubt anyone was confused, it just feels like this is a convenient argument to put on the table to try and validate a suggestion. I'm not buying into the whole "novice is confused thing".

This is my plan to draw the New searches together instead of having them scattered in different places - using Nodes As Tabs.

MAIN TAB
RECENT! (New Threads) opens the main page of update searches. Also as a secondary under Forums. Also a button at end of breadcrumbs so it is top and bottom of almost all pages without scrolling back to top. Also on any sidebars anywhere. top and bottom.
A note on the page explains the list is Recent Unread -threads and posts.
As now, link on right to All Recent Messages.
"You may also see what members have been doing recently." change to "You can check Members Recent Activities!" to keep the name consistent.
Tabs to categories of content, if addon, adds secondary link to main tab.
SECONDARY TABS:
All Recent Messages. All posts whether read or unread. Link on the RECENT page at top.
My Forum Posts - also found under my username dropdown.
Members' Recent Activities. Includes all the fussy bits!
My Watched Forums.
My Watched Threads. Add link top of page to All Recent Messages to expand view.
My Watched Resources.
New Resources.
All Resources. Main RM page.
Searchbox.

I also just posted a longer analysis on the current disorganisation but I think this plan above makes it clear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom