New thread type: Wiki

Feanor

A wiki thread type would be useful to organize certain types of content. I think this can be done with only a few adjustments.
  • Similar to article, possibly with less emphasis on the thread creator though
  • Public edit history. Also, maybe edit history shouldn't be cleared like regular threads (or at least a different setting to clear it so you can set it up to not clear).
  • Each wiki thread would have its own edit permissions by usergroup (defaults to node permissions as usual)
  • Maybe discussion posts in the thread are only shown if they click a "talk" button/tab and each post can have nested discussion, kind of like a regular wiki talk page. (This one might be less important, but would make it closer to a real wiki).
Can anyone else think of any other ideas that would make a thread like a wiki page?

This would also be like the article thread type where it's a simple way to provide a solution for something that people normally try to use add-ons and other software for. CMS in an article's case, wiki in this case. No more trying to integrate with other software like WordPress/MediaWiki.

Last edited:
Upvote 27
Thanks for the link, this is very similar to what I had in mind. Though I would still like to see it as feature built into XF for a few reasons:
  • This doesn't use thread types (yet).
  • I think there should be less emphasis on the thread creator like an XF article type (or even less).
  • Would rather not be dependent on a third party developer of course.
This add-on has some good ideas that I didn't think of though, such as alerts for edits.

Thanks for the link, this is very similar to what I had in mind. Though I would still like to see it as feature built into XF for a few reasons:
  • This doesn't use thread types (yet).
I gave it a thought about making the WikiPosts a thread type but then it wouldn't be possible to support wikis in other thread types either native or from a third party, so I decided not to pursuit that road. Although a Wiki Thread Type would be interesting to provide an enhanced feature set such as a table of content and other Wiki-like features. Suggestion taken :)

• I think there should be less emphasis on the thread creator like an XF article type (or even less).
Suggestions are always welcome by the way!

I gave it a thought about making the WikiPosts a thread type but then it wouldn't be possible to support wikis in other thread types either native or from a third party, so I decided not to pursuit that road. Although a Wiki Thread Type would be interesting to provide an enhanced feature set such as a table of content and other Wiki-like features. Suggestion taken :)

Suggestions are always welcome by the way!
Thanks, I'll check it out. I suppose if your add-on works on top of thread types, then the thread could be made as an article type anyway, which is kind of what I meant by less emphasis on the the thread creator compared to the normal thread arn linked to.

Top Bottom