New site high I/O usage

nodle

So I have been trying to figure this one out. So I setup a new Xenforo site. One is on regular shared hosting and one is one semi dedicated hosting. Now of course the semi-dedicated is going to be alot better. But is there anything I can do about this high I/O usage on the shared hosting? I have tried everything even setup a file cache like on my main site and it's still happening. Contacted host and they didn't see a problem with it, but to me it just doesn't seem normal. Is there anything that I can check? Any ideas?

New site. (shared hosting)

new.webp

My other site on a (semi-dedicated) just for comparison.

old.webp

Honestly, a 2MB/sec limit is absolutely ludicrous, and the fact that you are hitting that regularly is absolutely something the host should at least try to help you resolve. Otherwise your site is going to start throwing errors via CloudLinux, which is what they are using to set the limits.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do on your end with a shared hosting account to see your disk i/o, but there are tools (iotop, for example) that the host can use to see exactly what is using the disk i/o on your account. I would guess MySQL, but who knows? I'm guessing this is your small forum with only 1 member? If that is the case, there is no way the i/o should be this high.

Honestly, a 2MB/sec limit is absolutely ludicrous, and the fact that you are hitting that regularly is absolutely something the host should at least try to help you resolve. Otherwise your site is going to start throwing errors via CloudLinux, which is what they are using to set the limits.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do on your end with a shared hosting account to see your disk i/o, but there are tools (iotop, for example) that the host can use to see exactly what is using the disk i/o on your account. I would guess MySQL, but who knows? I'm guessing this is your small forum with only 1 member? If that is the case, there is no way the i/o should be this high.

Thank you for you input, I will try to contact them again and see what they can do.

Got a response back *sigh...
I have investigated on this and was unable to get any valid informations which regarding the high I/O usage. As already mentioned we are currently using Cloud Linux in all our shared hosting plans which limits your resource usage. We have this system implemented in order to prevent one account from overloading the server and thus affecting other accounts on the same server.

Whats strange I had my other site with about 20 people online at one moment at time and I never had loads like this. It's strange since it's a fresh install and I have no users yet.

even 2MB per second can handle quite a bit of traffic...it would seem.

Example- my hobby site has 120,000 page views per month.
A very busy "real time" google analytics shows something like below - which is 15 pages loaded per minute. At 500KB per page, that would be less than 8MB per minute. In theory, 2MB per second would give many times that - 120MB per minute.

But the real world works differently. Robots, constant pinging by hackers (usually requesting a certain file), etc. means that most shared systems will overload.

I've learned my lesson. XF can't really be run properly - other than a development server - on less than about 512 of dedicated RAM - and ideally a VPS. 1 GB is even better.

I just moved from a 1G VPS which was being overloaded easily - even with a small forum and wordpress. I had to throttle all the robots and reboot often (I think there were memory leaks).

I'd say - all in all- that shared hosting...unless the host is really proven and runs many instances of the same SW (XF) with no problem - should not be considered...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 1.04.01 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 1.04.01 PM.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 17
Got a response back *sigh...
Whats strange I had my other site with about 20 people online at one moment at time and I never had loads like this. It's strange since it's a fresh install and I have no users yet.

Excellent response they gave!! LOL!! In any event, yes, that usage should not be happening with a fresh install. It's doubtful that robots are going to be pulling 2MB/sec of disk i/o. Unfortunately without their help, your hands are kinda tied as to figuring out what is causing this. Assuming they are using cPanel, you can also go to AWStats or Webalizer or such, and see if there is anything in there, like a file being accessed a bunch, etc., but even that is going to give you limited information.

Top Bottom