New Profile Field for XenForo Version

Amaury

I think it'd be useful if XenForo were to add a new profile field here on XenForo Community where you can input or choose, depending on the field type, the XenForo version your forum is running.

What do you guys think?

I think it'd be useful if XenForo were to add a new profile field here on XenForo Community where you can input or choose, depending on the field type, the XenForo version your forum is running.

What do you guys think?
I think it would get outdated really really soon :) Unless it was automatic

What do you guys think?

Your community members may be different than mine. My members don't really care which version as long as the forums provide the access and services they want.

Now me? I am probably more interested than they are. :)

Your community members may be different than mine. My members don't really care which version as long as the forums provide the access and services they want.

Now me? I am probably more interested than they are. :)

I'm talking about xenforo.com, not KH-Flare. :P

It would work okay if people kept it up to date. That way when someone asks a question that might be version specific and they forget to say its there.

But many people won't update it and it doesn't work for people managing multiple sites. I would much rather see a licensed in the postbit than the version.

But many people won't update it and it doesn't work for people managing multiple sites. I would much rather see a licensed in the postbit than the version.
I agree. It would be far more beneficial to see which members are licensed than what xf version they are running.

I don't think it would be any use. Many members wouldn't keep it up-to-date unless it was automatic, which there is no easy way this could be done - just because you're a licensed user doesn't mean that you are using the latest version (or the latest version you are entitled to), so how exactly would an automatic system determine what version you are using without it directly checking your registered website (you can't assume that just because someone has downloaded a version that they are using it)? That would be a whole lot of effort on the part of the Xenforo team to get this working and for what benefit exactly? So a few people can look at other people's profiles to see what XF version they are using. Definitely not worth it!

Many people choose the wrong prefix when creating support threads and that is done at the time, not something which is set and forget.
So relying on a profile field would be futile.

Nice thought - but I think, on TAZ it has such a field and I filled it in at the start and have never updated it - so I'd guess the same might happen here.

Also I think here people generally adopt the cutting edge builds pretty quickly - which I goes against the norm for a PHP app (it's expected more in Ruby circles - one of the huge differences between it and Python for example).

Top Bottom