1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 New posts count

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by flowerpot132, Mar 8, 2016.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

How long does it take for the new posts count to reset?

A month?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What do you mean by reset?

Unread posts newer than the value set for 'Read Marking Data Lifetime (Days)' will show as new posts.

3. flowerpot132

I mean if a user doesn't login for ages, then the new posts count will show as 100s. Can it not do that and just show the new posts from say the last month?

4. Brogan

Change the value for the option I mentioned to 30.

5. flowerpot132

Ok it was already set to 30 days. So if I login as a user and see 300 posts unread. If I wait 30 days then log back in, that will be no unread, presuming there have no new posts in that 20 day period.

6. Brogan

Correct.

7. flowerpot132

Thanks. One last thing... can that user log in inbetween the 30 days and that 30 days still count, or does it reset everytime they log in?

8. Brogan

It is based on the post date relevant to the actual date.

9. flowerpot132

Ok I think there might be a problem with my forum then. It is not displaying that behaviour?

If I go to new posts, it is showing posts (as unread) that are older than 30 days.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I doubt there's a problem. Can you screenshot what you're seeing and highlight what the problem is? Note that this is all based on last post date.