Implemented New post indicator...

Shelley

on thread display. The fact that when a new post is made within a thread and the text becomes bolded is (I feel) a adequate enough indication that a new post has been made. My suggestion is to remove the star image keeping this area less cluttered.

Perhaps an alternative image for someone "who's posted" in that thread can be put in that area instead? Just a thought, but I think the star image should be removed. Bolded text is enough imo.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree. :) It's kind of redundant. I also agree that the icon should be replaced with an icon to indicate whether you've posted in a thread or not. (Whether this is at the end of the title or overlayed over the avatar image like vBulletin doesn't really matter to me - as long as there is something that tells me whether I've posted in a thread or not). :)

We didn't actually have the star before, and I got some feedback that it wasn't noticeable enough. Though I am thinking we should tone the star down.

We didn't actually have the star before, and I got some feedback that it wasn't noticeable enough. Though I am thinking we should tone the star down.

Personally, I think it's more than adequate, prominent to the eye. I'm surprised that they didn't suggest making the "new" image in postbit more prominent especially when it displays within a quote. Either way, the thread display looks wonderful, remval of this would only enhance it in the way of de-cluttering it. Either way, I'm happy.

I thought it would look better without the star. Initially it actually confused me as I thought it was a temporary "Go to first unread" button, but when I learned that didn't make a difference I really didn't know why else the star was there.

Likely I will remove it on my forum when I have it installed.

Initially it actually confused me as I thought it was a temporary "Go to first unread" button, but when I learned that didn't make a difference I really didn't know why else the star was there.
Me too.
I realized that earlier today...I don't think it's necessary at all to have the star.

I would lose the yellow star. I think the contrast between bold and normal weight is enough. If it's not enough, then in addition to bold, make the font color slightly darker than it currently is to give it more contrast with threads that have no new posts.

Images are perhaps not finalized yet, especially since code has priority with this alpha?
I think it's a stock star, even if made in-house (if that's the case). But could be resized a bit and less contrasty.

i thought the star was related to subscribing to a thread or whatnot. its not at all obvious that it has anything to do with new unread posts in the thread.
that being said, simple bolded text may not be readily noticeable to many people. what about changing the avatar opacity? say 100%=unread, 60%=read, or something of that nature.

I think the star would be more useful as a "watched" thread marker vs unread. I only figured it out after browsing the forums / reading some posts.

Or possibly repurpose the star to indicate which threads you have posted in, or as Kuma mentioned, which threads you have watched. :)

Top Bottom