1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New OpenSSL vulnerability, directly impacting Nginx

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Floren, May 7, 2014.

1. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Dinosaur, MattW, Null and 1 other person like this.
  2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

OpenSSL has really taken a beating recently.
  3. Null

Null Well-Known Member

HWS likes this.
  4. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

The big guns already formed a fund coalition for OpenSSL: Amazon, Cisco, Dell, Facebook, Fujitsu, Google, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NetApp, Rackspace, Qualcomm and VMWare. Each company will donate $100,000/year for 3 years. Apple decided is not important to participate... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I can't stand this company.
  5. BamaStangGuy

Maybe they figured 1.3 million a year is enough?
  6. BamaStangGuy

For CentminMod users:

step 1. run command to patch OpenSSL 1.0.1g source for Nginx usage
    curl -sL https://gist.github.com/centminmod/7e0a38b394d5d2f8fc7a/raw/releasebuffer.sh | bash
    step 2. Set OPENSSL_VERSION='1.0.1g' version set in centmin.sh
    step 3. Run centmin.sh menu option #4 recompile Nginx. When prompted if you want to recompile OpenSSL - select YES
    TheComputerGuy and MattW like this.
  7. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I think Apple deprecated the use of OpenSSL a few years back (at least, that's the impression I got from WWDC).
  8. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Just patched 4 servers :)
  9. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

10. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

With the revenue they have, I think they can afford a donation of $300,000 which is BTW tax deductible. :rolleyes:(n)
    After they ripped entirely FreeBSD to make their MacOS and bribed the developers with few pennies to have their mouths shut, they could at least support Open Source...
  11. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

Not all of that is going to OpenSSL though. It's a collective fund to help struggling Open Source projects IIRC.
  12. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

There are better causes to support than crappy OpenSSL. Why would they support something they don't use? Because they have money? So? The above companies are using it, so they have an interest to support it.
  13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

@Nights: Check and see if our server's affected by this.
  14. Dinosaur

Dinosaur Member