Fixed New message indicator causes page "hopping"

erich37

since people will complain when I post something into the "Bug Reports section" , I will post it here......

-----------
Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?

when there are more than 1 of those above messages, while I am typing my text within the editor.... then the editor is moving down at the page (hopping), which is irritating.

:coffee:

That said, you can get more than one of that message? Screenshot?

what is triggering this message ? does it show up when there is any new post at the Forum or just when there is a new post for threads I am watching ?
Anyway, when this message shows up, then when there seems to be something which makes it somehow "hopping" when there is a "second message".

I guess I can produce a screenshot once somebody else triggers a "new post" and I am at the editor at the same time.....

What do you propose is done about it?

What is the actual suggestion?

no idea, I am not a coder.

:coffee:

The message indicates there are new posts since you started composing your reply.
It allows you to load them, read them and consider changing your own post before submitting.

You need to explain what you mean by "hopping".

When the message loads it pushes the editor down.
This is a natural consequence of the new content appearing on the page.

Is that what you mean or do you mean something else?

I agree, that it is "irritating" that the editor jumps while i use it (is it really called hopping/jumping? )

Suggestion => Load the notice always (add
Code:
<li class="newMessagesNotice messagesSinceReplyingNotice" style="opacity: 1;">Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. <a href="javascript:" data-href="threads/hopping.52522/show-new-posts?last_date=1371235647" class="NewMessageLoader">View them?</a></li>
to the template but HIDE it.

If there's a new post => show it.
This would add a small whitespace between the last post and the editor, but it would stop the "hopping":D

Last edited:
The message indicates there are new posts since you started composing your reply.
It allows you to load them, read them and consider changing your own post before submitting.

You need to explain what you mean by "hopping".

When the message loads it pushes the editor down.
This is a natural consequence of the new content appearing on the page.

Is that what you mean or do you mean something else?

this message "Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?" also shows up when there are new posts at some other thread.
Not actually "new posts" at the thread which I am currently on and entering text into the editor.

Did you recognize this ?
Why am I getting notified of "new posts" in some other thread ?

I might be wrong, but this is what I saw....

It pushes the Editor down on the "second message" again. Which is not neccesary as the "second message" has the exact same position as the "first message".

I agree, that it is "irritating" that the editor jumps while i use it (is it really called hopping/jumping? )

Suggestion => Load the notice always (add
Code:
<li class="newMessagesNotice messagesSinceReplyingNotice" style="opacity: 1;">Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. <a href="javascript:" data-href="threads/hopping.52522/show-new-posts?last_date=1371235647" class="NewMessageLoader">View them?</a></li>
to the template but HIDE it.

If there's a new post => show it.
This would add a small whitespace between the last post and the editor, but it would stop the "hopping":D

yeah, this would stop the "rabbit hopping" ;)
not sure about the "second message" hopping........

:notworthy::sleep:

This was a legitimate bug.

It's not that it's displayed twice. Its that when the message appears again, it deletes the first one and then animates the same thing back into place which causes the page to jump up and then down again.

Fixed, though not rolled out here yet.

This was a legitimate bug.

It's not that it's displayed twice. Its that when the message appears again, it deletes the first one and then animates the same thing back into place which causes the page to jump up and then down again.

Fixed, though not rolled out here yet.

thanks for confirming that I am not either:

1) going crazy
2) getting blind
3) being paranoid
4) seeing a Fata Morgana

:D:p;)

Top Bottom