New Members Having The Same Signup Date Of Birth

MQK8

I don't know if this is just some crazy coincidence or what but I've just started a new forum and I'm getting about one or two new signups per day but the last 10 signups or so are all 45 years old. At first when I started to see the pattern I thought it was maybe some spam bot or the same person signing up using different user names but after checking the ip address they are actually real members and all different people. All of the signup date of births are January 1, 1970. How could this be, has anyone else experienced this? Is this just a crazy coincidence or does the signup format in place lend itself to this somehow but I don't see how. Weird

I had this recently, they are spammers in my case and try to post links on their profiles since they cannot do it in threads. My spam settings flags it for moderation so is there by any chance any spam in their profiles?

No they all have nothing in their profiles, no signature link, no information at all. Unless they just want to get registered pretending to be real members and spam the heck out of me later, lol.. But they all have U.S. ip addresses and seem to be real members but then again I could totally be wrong about that. Guess I will see what happens.

Fair enough. In my case they were from PK IP wise, listed all as Female, age 45 and from New York (had that as their profile information), then a 12-24 hours later, tried adding spam to their profiles or posts which got flagged and added to the moderation queue.

Fair enough. In my case they were from PK IP wise, listed all as Female, age 45 and from New York (had that as their profile information), then a 12-24 hours later, tried adding spam to their profiles or posts which got flagged and added to the moderation queue.
Well, thanks for your input, guess I'll see what happens. Spammers can be very clever as you know. :)

January 1, 1970 is a special date:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
Seems curious. Perhaps they are using a linux-based spambot that has a bug in the date generation functionality, so it often/always chooses unix time=0.

I find that more of my spammers are using US based proxies recently, for what its worth.

Last edited:
January 1, 1970 is a special date:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
Seems curious. Perhaps they are using a linux-based spambot that has a bug in the date generation functionality, so it often/always chooses unix time=0.

I find that more of my spammers are using US based proxies recently, for what its worth.
Wow, this is very interesting and glad you brought this to my attention. Spammers are getting very creative. Thanks again for the insight!

Okay, just had three more signups using the same date of Jan 1, 1970 and it shows as a US, New York IP address and not on any spam or blacklist an they signed up through Tapa Talk. I'm using the captcha spam filter, do you think there is anyway this could be anything else other than a spam bot? Last night I deleted about 25 members that had this same age and date of birth as their registration. Maybe if I go to a question and answer thing it will somehow shed some light on this.

One of the spammers introduced himself, made a very informative post and very precise on topic. When starting a new forum it's hard to delete members and posts for you need all the help you can get when first starting out, lol

Ok, I'm not crazy or imagining things. So another forum owner and other people who are signing up to Xenforo via Tapatalk are also getting the January 1st, 1970, 45 years age on new registrations. I wish I would have discovered this before I banned and deleted about 50 members. Oh well, guess I have to start all over again.

Top Bottom