New members can't registered, asking for 100 characters or fewer

Divinum Fiat

I can't figure out why new members can't register.

I have created my own security question (what's the first letter in the alphabet with two possible answers, a or A). When I just tried to sign up as a test person I got an error message saying "please enter a value using 100 characters or fewer."

My forum is set to manually approve members.

Any ideas?

Although that appears to be an issue, ultimately the solution is to choose a different question and answer.

That particular question is far too weak and one that would easily be solved by the logic of bots which can answer simple questions like this.

You may want to consider more simple registration solutions such as my registration form timer or the many other registration solutions Check out the add ons by tenants for some excellent and cost effective solutions.

OMG, that was totally it! There were too many characters in the board title (I wish instead of giving me the 100 character error message it would have told me WHAT exactly the 100 characters applied to). It's fixed now.

THANK YOU ALL so much!!! :-)

Site titles are commonly shorter than the one you've chosen, which is - to all intents and purposes - a keyword stuffed title really aimed at covering everything with a specific relative word. ;)

Perhaps a shorter, snappier site title might help with the use of the "Board Meta Description" in the Basic Board Information option in the XF ACP to get all those juicy keywords in (you can fit a lot of them in there without impacting on the site layout (y) ).

That would allow you to shorten the site title down from ...

Personal Development, Metaphysics, Relationships, Great Conversations and more

... to something snappier and still relevant like ...

Personal Development Forums or
Personal Growth Forums or
Core Freedom Personal Development or

... something similarly snappy and short and to-the-point.

It's only a suggestion mind you, there's nothing wrong with having a long title and smaller font size, but remember that your loooooooong site title will also be used in all the emails and communication from your site so it will impact on formatting in more than one place! ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

.... remember that your loooooooong site title will also be used in all the emails and communication from your site so it will impact on formatting in more than one place!

Crap, I forgot about that!

Thank you, Shaun. The logo already says "Life Skills Community" so I wanted to stay away from repeating the same and give some more details. However, I totally agree that it should be much shorter, one to three words max. Thank you for the suggestion!

Top Bottom