New Macbook Pro 2011

Not everyone wants a hardcore gaming pc... MBPs are just very nice laptops which are really a pleasure to work on, for that reason people buy them.
I have an old MBP from I think 2005ish, the first half of that year (I believe they did 2 cycles that year for some reason). It's running on the latest version of Mac OS X with no problem whatsoever (except I may have been rougher with it than I wanted–I have no up button any more. :(). I will upgrade to a new MBP when I can, but right now it's running smoothly more or less like the day I got it (though I did add 1GB of RAM).

I just can't seem to get productive on a Windows machine because I find myself doing simple things that make productivity and usability so much easier, like tapping my mouse in the corner and all the windows move out of the way so I can access my desktop in a snap and tap the corner again to get them back. It's little things here and there that I find myself doing on Windows to do something quickly and move on that aren't there and frustrate me a little. :p

I opted for the Airbook. Its easier to travel with it.

The best part about MacOS, is you can get the same office automation tools: MSOffice for Mac 2011, but still open an xterm and treat it like a Unix system.

Not everyone wants a hardcore gaming pc... MBPs are just very nice laptops which are really a pleasure to work on, for that reason people buy them.
Yup, over the years had a wide array of laptops, everything from a TI TravelMate 2000, to ThinkPads, a bargin basement HP Pavilion... The Macbook Pro is by far the best damn laptop I've ever owned.

My current 15" Macbook is roughly 15 months old... it shows none of the wear and tear that my old Windows laptops showed at the age... My HP Pavilion laptop had bits falling off at 15 months and FWIW it died at 18.

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Macbook Pro regardless of the price... Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. :)

I opted for the Airbook. Its easier to travel with it.

The best part about MacOS, is you can get the same office automation tools: MSOffice for Mac 2011, but still open an xterm and treat it like a Unix system.

Same. I dislike Outlook 2011 though. Trying to use Mail.app 4.4 with Exchange is horrible, so I'm using Outlook 2010 via Parallels Desktop.

Wow just been looking around and those prices have gone up a lot! I got my 24inch iMac for less than £800 a few years back, now the cheapest model is over £1020...

Edit: Just remembered that was with education discount, but even with that now it is far more expensive. I understand that prices will have gone up but it seems to have gone up an insane amount.

Not too interested with the hardware revisions, I think I'll wait for next year's models. My 2008 MacBook is slow but hey, it still works.

Instead, I was far more interested in today's developer preview of Lion. Been using it for the past few hours, it's really coming along nicely.

Okay so here's my problem. Cousin buys this macbook pro 10 days ago and cut the box to send off a label stuck on it so he can get the free ipod they advertised and threw the packaging. Now we are thinking of returning the machine and getting the new model (same price) but Apple needs the actual packaging and stuff which we don't have now. Can we still do it? Daaaaang.

Okay so here's my problem. Cousin buys this macbook pro 10 days ago and cut the box to send off a label stuck on it so he can get the free ipod they advertised and threw the packaging. Now we are thinking of returning the machine and getting the new model (same price) but Apple needs the actual packaging and stuff which we don't have now. Can we still do it? Daaaaang.

I'm going to say no, but call the Apple Store.

I'm going to say no, but call the Apple Store.

We called them and they sounded really helpful and said they would get back about it on Monday. I am hoping it works out well because he's bought quite a few stuff from them over the years.

I would absolutely love one! Unfortunately, free money isn't something in the budget at the moment. That, and my current late 09 model MBP works beautifully. Probably won't end up getting a new one for at least a few more years; possibly before graduate/law school.

Top Bottom