new law: internet dating safety act of 2011

erich37

New Laws Targetting Facebook, Social Networks and Dating sites.

Check out this new proposed law from New York. If you are a company that is either directly or indirectly in the business of dating, ie letting strangers in New York talk to other Strangers in New York you are now supposed to do a brackground check or put up big warning text if someone from New York Registered and you haven’t done a background check on them.
The proposed law is so broad that any site allowing you to meet strangers falls under the definition.
” (B) “internet dating service” means a person or entity directly or indirectly in the business, for profit, of offering, promoting or providing access to dating, relationship, compatibility, matrimonial or social referral services principally on or through the internet.”
Sites like facebook actually generate more relationships and marriages than the entire dating industry combined, at least according to the large studies we’ve conducted. Facebook also has many dating apps on their platform that allows strangers to meet and date. Social networks like Tagged.com link to dating sites(zoosk) directly from their main menu. It would be extremely hard for Facebook and tagged to argue they are not “indirectly in the business of dating”.
Unfortunately this isn’t unique to New York as several other states are trying to pass similar laws or they have already been passed. This similar law passed in Texas already forces Facebook to provide warnings to users on signup…. If facebook doesn’t put up a warning than it is on the hook for $750 per user registered in new york. Lets say Faceook has 10 million people from New York that is a fine of $7.50 BILLION dollars.

Well, if we start forcing background checks online... Let's take it all the way and not allow dating unless thorough background checks are completed for everybody you meet and want to date in real life.

Basically put (warning: ~blah) in your registration with agree to terms like just about every site does that requires a login anyways and problem solved...what does this accomplish exactly...I have no clue. People are pretty much aware of what can happen when you talk to strangers so I don't quite get what a safety disclosure accomplishes but hey whats another feel good law that does nothing else besides being added to the list. Time Well spent(y)

Well, if we start forcing background checks online... Let's take it all the way and not allow dating unless thorough background checks are completed for everybody you meet and want to date in real life.

:ROFLMAO: LOL no no no start at the root of the problem, require a license to date and then everything will be on file already. Sorry :censored:

Does allowing people to just communicate fall under this law?
I believe this particular bill applies to New York state alone but as far as allowing communication in general , that was never theirs to allow or disallow so I would venture a guess at no.

I would like to see them to this to court...it would get thrown out so fast by any company that has enough money to put up with it(Facebook), they can try and lessen webmaster freedom but in the end all that happens is that their is a spot light that comes down on them and some of the most powerful people and companies frown upon them. Lulz this is gonna fail and put NY back in its place when it does :giggle:

On the plus side, more jobs are being opened up. Facebook will need a background checking department, applications opening soon!!!

Sounds like a very impractical and possibly illegal idea, maybe New York should be doing back ground checks on everyone that lives there and arresting scum bags before they have time to settle in and get online.

Top Bottom