1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New job. New town.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LPH, May 24, 2014.

1. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

After working with urban students for the past 15 years, I'm changing jobs. The new school is located in a suburb and has an API score 200 points above my current assignment.

old school => 600 API => 5% of students score proficient or advanced on state tests
    new school => 800 API => 60-75% of students score proficient or advanced on state tests.

I was asked during the interview how I handled a student who didn't do their homework. I laughed and said, "If a student in my current school does homework then I get excited and give them a high five."

API is a state ranking based on a total possible 1000 and built around test scores, high school exit exam pass rates, graduation rates, etc.

In a 'general manner' ... Proficient means the kid scored above 60% on a state test ;)
    karll, wedgar, yavuz and 1 other person like this.
  2. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new position!

Hope it is everything you wanted and more.
    LPH likes this.
  3. Goodfella

Goodfella Active Member

Congrats! Best of luck with the new job.
  4. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Thank you. Signed most of the paperwork yesterday. Now I'm making lists and making lots of decisions.
  5. Goodfella

Goodfella Active Member

About 9 months ago i relocated for work also. I relocated across the world and it was a great decision :) Hopefully all goes well with you!
  6. Will

Will Active Member

Noticed your location says Palmdale. Do you work for Palmdale School District?
  7. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Wow. What a great decision.
  8. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Antelope Valley Union High School District :)
  9. Will

Will Active Member

Oh okay. I was just wondering because the Superintendent from where I work is headed to Palmdale School District as Superintendent.
  10. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Maldonado, right? He was in the Palmdale district a few years before he became the Superintendent at McFarland. I really don't know him. I hope he's able to help the district.

Small world.
  11. Will

Will Active Member

Yeah, that is him. I heard he was there for several years before coming to McFarland for a short time. He is a cool guy and loves to be out in the community. The McFarland community is obviously smaller than Palmdale but hopefully he can do the same.
  12. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new job! That's a big change in API.
  13. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

I'm glad Palmdale is getting a personable superintendent. It's very important.
  14. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Yes - an API of 200 points is huge.
  15. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Most of my college professor said they couldn't handle high school, so they went to teach in a community college instead. Is it hard to get in a community college or you just don't want to?
  16. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

I love working with high school sophomores. They are the jewels in the school as they move from pre-teen, to teen, to young adult.
  17. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

Antelope Valley? Poppy Fields!
    LPH likes this.
  18. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

21 jump street abs nickle.
    LPH likes this.
  19. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

So, you're a teacher?

The American school system is strange...
    LPH likes this.
  20. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Yes. Over the years I've had the pleasure of teaching biology, honors biology, AP biology, chemistry, honors chemistry, AP chemistry, physics, AP physics, Integrated Coordinated Science Years I & II, earth science, AP environmental science, Project Lead the Way IED and POE ... plus a doctorate in "Educational Leadership" (which means I know - or should know - the jargon).

Now that's an understatement ;)