XF 2.1 New install on Godaddy MySql Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

TheGroove

Hi All,

Looking forward to getting this installed but running into this issue. I tried to update through the installer and get this error and I tried manually updating the config.php and still get the error.

Here are my DB settings in Godaddy (screenshot), I am able to access just fine through phpmyadmin using these same credentials.

This is my config.php i've tried both the db name and fully qualified hostname, both give the same results.

config['db']['host'] = 'localhost';
$config['db']['port'] = 3306;
$config['db']['username'] = 'XenForo';
$config['db']['password'] = 'omitted';
$config['db']['dbname'] = 'XenForo';
$config['db']['socket'] = null;

$config['fullUnicode'] = true;

Additionally, I did run the test configuration before purchasing. Both php and MySql versions checked out. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 9.35.01 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 9.35.01 AM.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
Just one more question about the installation routine, I'm about an hour and a quarter in so far and is showing progress but running extremely slow (currently importing template data for the last 45 minutes alone at just 35%) . For reference, on the same server I was able to install vB in about 10 minutes yesterday. Is this normal for XenForo?

That doesn't sound right. I did a test import (no attachments) 6,000 users, 20k threads and it only took about an hour. Somebody can probably advise better. I'm new the xenforo but used vb for 17 years.

I have done hundreds of installations on tens of different hosts.

If it takes more than a couple of minutes then it's a badly configured/severely under-powered/over-provisioned server.

Get a new server/package/host.

As for the original issue, the host name was in the screenshot.

1597088436902.webp

Not many hosts require anything other than localhost but it does come up occasionally.

I have done hundreds of installations on tens of different hosts.

If it takes more than a couple of minutes then it's a badly configured/severely under-powered/over-provisioned server.

Get a new server/package/host.

As for the original issue, the host name was in the screenshot.

View attachment 232573

Not many hosts require anything other than localhost but it does come up occasionally.
Okay, any recommendations for shared hosting? I'm also curious as to why vBulletin installed so quickly.

In general, I haven't had many issues with GoDaddy.

Most of the installs I have done on their shared hosting packages were a few minutes.

Perhaps you've just been provisioned onto a very old/overloaded server?

See if they'll move you to another one - that can sometimes make a difference.

I know this is a little bit older but just wanted to share my experience here with Godaddy. Even after upgrading to a new more updated shared host I still had issues with the site timing out several times a day, page loads were slow and people were complaining.

This is a new board with relatively few users and posts. Godaddy support was terrible, always putting the blame on me and could never tell me why it was always having issues. So I moved to a VPS at knownhost and the difference is like night and day, I'm very happy with these guys.

I just don't know how anyone is successfully using a shared hosting solution with Godaddy, maybe getting lucky and not being on an overloaded host?

That can definitely be a factor on cheap/shared hosting.

With my previous host I had terrible issues on one server and when I was moved to another it was fine.
I suspect that it's the server I'm on, this would've been my third upgrade with them in order to stop the site hangs from happening and I'm just drawing the line, for everything I had put into it the site should not be timing out several times a day. They lost my business. I'll still keep them around for domain management but that's it.

Top Bottom