New Guy Questions

CoreIssue

I am on vBulletin but:
  • The upgrade costs are ridiculous.
  • vB is far too bloated for what I want.
  • I really do not like their attitudes.
  • There are some basic free boards that are nice and I respect their developers, but they just are not getting to what I need them to be.
  • Being on 3.8.2 I have security concerns.
So, I would be grateful for some answers to my questions:
  • Should I be concerned about xF going down the same pricing path in the future?
  • Quick fixes of security issues.
  • Will there be just one script with everything packed into it or will there be different packages:
    • Forum only with basics, like a shoutbox, smilie catagories and similar offerings built around the forum concept.
    • Portal
    • Blogs
    • Other
    • Combination thereof
Thanks for any answers. They are appreciated and I am seriously considering this software.

Those questions are hard to give definitive answers for. But I do have some insight to offer.

• Should I be concerned about xF going down the same pricing path in the future?

I don't think you need to worry about that. I can't speak for Kier, Mike, and Ashley, but they obviously favor a renewal system like what has been implemented.

• Quick fixes of security issues.

xenForo hasn't yet had a chance to establish a security history. But given the nature of the code and the reputation of the developers behind it I would expect few security issues and quick fixes of any issues that arise.

• Will there be just one script with everything packed into it or will there be different packages:
    • Forum only with basics, like a shoutbox, smilie catagories and similar offerings built around the forum concept.
    • Portal
    • Blogs
    • Other
    • Combination thereof

I do know that xenForo is focusing on the forum application first and foremost. Additional products are a possibility for the future, but right now it's all about the forum. At the very least you can use third party products like Joomla and Wordpress to fill those features. I am sure the community will eventually develop addons to integrate those products with xenForo.

Quick fixes of security issues.

I want to point out one thing, about this. xenForo is a beta software and until now, there hasnt been one security issue. Now, compare that to vb 4.0.8 that is "stable" and has already been patched TWICE in less than two weeks. I run a forum with vb4 and I hate it. I cant wait to get the few features I need to move away from VB and for good.

I think security should be your last worries with xF.

Thanks.

I understand the security issue is future looking.

Addons or different packages I am fine with. Just have no desire for things like vB where so much is turned off but still there to deal with both file and query wise.

I have been looking around, Googling and so on. To me what is important beyond the script are the people behind the script and the community behind those people. Package deal. :)

I expect I will be buying the script later on. Right now I have to buy a new computer. My PC bit the dust. :(

Not a huge forum, but when I move over 23,000 posts on over 2,200 threads I want it to go smoothly and permanently. So I don't think I will be moving to a Beta. Maybe an advanced RC.

But I will be around and appreciate all the replies.

Been awhile but I have been keeping an eye on the forum. My one big concern remains that everything is integrated into it.

We have to be honest, if time is taken to create scripts for a blog, gallery, cms etc they will be priced into the product. That is only reasonable but I don't want to pay for what I will not use or have it cluttering up the Admin Panel, etc.

Blogs on my type forum are a big problem, not an asset. Not to mention on a forum engaging in long discussion threads they are worthless.

Galleries are nice but for a lot of forum types just not really used.

I have a CMS and to be honest, it has proven pretty worthless. I use the vb stats, lastest post, ect and it does fine for my needs.

My point is not everyone wants or needs the same thing but the kitchen sink approach is just not the right way to go, I believe. I would hope the forum would be core and the others would be adds one could buy or not buy at their discretion.

Might be unrealistic but I am tossing my two cents in as that is a consideration for me when it comes time to buy or not buy.

Precisely why the developers' primary focus is, and always will be, the forums' core functionality.

There is a good portal already released in the add-ons forum.
A gallery is currently being coded.
There is no blog add-on that I know of yet, and don't know if there will be.

Point is, these are add-ons. IF anything like these were to be coded by the developers, it will be quite a while coming.

OK, I looked at MYBB, which I really cannot criticize, but not real thrilled with the editor and the development is kinda slow. I have done the SMF and phpBB in the past. Not bad but too much work and not enough of what I need. I looked at IPB and to be honest, it reminded me of vB way to much, especially the confusion of the Admin Panel.

Finally, I cannot see vB winning the court cases.

So, with that said, I will be switching to XF soon. Just too many DB repairs on vB 3.8.2 due to spammer attempts and whatever else. I truly do not like vB 4.

• Portal
  • Blogs
XF is Future of forums no doubt ...on moment there are no smilie categories system but can't say about future . There's shoutbox add-on available already.

Portal - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.7586/ - Example for Portal : http://www.8wayrun.com/
Jaxel is using this portal on his own site so when we talk about updates and supports ofcourse until his board in running up with xenforo everything should be good in place.

Blog - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ln-blog.12701/ (Jaxel is working on another version of blog too which is little different concept so you might have choice there , if you are looking for blog importer Onimua is working on it too i think .)

Gallery should be coming pretty soon too as KK is working on his Add-on i think .

At the moment i won't compare any other softwares with Xenforo it's just different then other options out there . Every penny you invest init is worth it.

Top Bottom