New Forum Software with a few interesting features

xenDach

Hi,

Just found this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the idea of the design changes on the front end. Don't like the use of the wrench though. I also like the on the fly content box creation. Not sure how flexible that can be, but interesting. I heard the creator was one of the vBSEO coders.

This is also entertaining to watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Poor girl. She should have practiced a bit more on explaining the available features and the highlights of the software.;)

xenDach

Liked their "Important Notices" sidebar. Judging from their site, Launch.Forum comes with a native XenPorta-like portal for Home page. Is that really so?

To be honest, I have no idea. But if their site is created out of their vanilla software, then yeah, sort of. They also need to learn about marketing a product online and in a show, from what I can see. I mean, launch.forum has to be the worst name you could pick for a new forum software and have it be SEO. I mean search for the words launch and forum. Oh boy. And the creator is from vBSEO?? Hard to believe.

Xenforo on the other hand is a very SEO smart name, as it is completely unique.;)

xenDach

Golly, looks interesting, but if you need that much "hand holding" and such dumbing down of the customization etc, then I am not sure you should be running a forum.

Strikes me more like a personal forum... so instead of a blog, bit of a more padded out facebooky kind of thing.

Yeah, the girl explaining the software said it was aimed to be a sort of "home base" for social networking. Not sure the connection to an actual forum is correct then. Like you say, it's more like a "personal forum".

xenDach

Yeah, the girl explaining the software said it was aimed to be a sort of "home base" for social networking. Not sure the connection to an actual forum is correct then. Like you say, it's more like a "personal forum".

xenDach

Yeah, it is not a stupid idea, but they should have found a new and completely different term for it, instead of calling it a forum, as really, I don't see it as a forum as such.

A personal, controllable space that is 100% yours to put all your content on... and to chat with your friends etc, that is how I see the product - all very worthy attributes.

What you would call that kind of product I don't know...

"per-for"

"mySpace" Oh wait...

"for-me"

Ohh.... Looks like it's similar to Ning or ProBoard. Watch the second video at 8.05. The guy says Launch.Forum is subscription-based. I assume databases will be under their control then.

Yeah, if its subscription based, then they should. Hah! There is some rumour or information out that vBulletin 5 is supposed to also have a SaaS offering too. OMG, how could they steal their plans? Maybe that guy in the video is also a former disgruntled IB employee. LOL!:p:D

xenDach

No, you can run it on your own server OR use the cloud/hosted option to be running in five minutes. That's cool, I know people who outgrow Ning and would like more options and host themselves. So you can run it with training-wheels or take them off.

I would love to see XenForo with Home page like theirs. I mean XenForo's Pages are pretty limiting and frankly useless.
Pages were meant to be static, not dynamic and would have never fit what most people are expecting of it. They're perfectly done for what they were made for, which was to be used as static information in the node tree, nothing more, nothing less.

Xenforo vs LaunchForum. Battle of Avatars

I guess Launch.Forum is borrowing and enhancing ideas from Xenforo. vBulletin-vs-IPB-like competition has started. :)

Top Bottom