New Forum Software with a few interesting features

Not keen on the use of names exclusively in the topic listing, if someone changes their avatar it becomes a pain to figure out who started the topic / last replied. Obviously you'll find out once you read a topic or mouse over the avatar but sometimes you just want to glance at something and know that sort of information.

Either way it looks like it has potential, though probably not so much as a IPB or vBulletin style product, but then it is an early Alpha so plenty of time for it to grow up :).

I would completely disagree with that.
We make extensive use of them on our site.

http://cliptheapex.com/community/pages/2011-race-hub/

That looks brilliant and is a brilliant use for them. Gave me some good ideas for using pages on my site once I get around to actually doing something with it :P.

hmm...some interesting features in there, indeed. I do like how easy it is to do some common administration tasks. I've always disliked having to constantly login to an admin area.

I think XenForo is better in just about every way...mostly what I think is that the noobs will go over there and say "Hey, look I can run a community too!(even though I know nothing and it could blow up at any moment)" lol. I personally think that their 'making it easier' has actually made it harder to use the software. I find xF very easy to use but my main objective was "Is it easy for the users to use?" which I believe xF is.

Don't get me wrong I hope the have a fun time...it is just not what I feel is a great forum product.

I found their site a few days ago and checked them out. I like some of their ideas (the Change it Where you See it concept, designed to be idiot proof- a good function for me). Their pitch seems to be for complete noobs, which is fine, though, I am not sure if they are making trade-offs in ease of use versus power.

They also have a theme of "collabetition" (a morph of collaboration and competition, I think), which is kind of cool; they are pitching that they welcome competition and intend to steal/share/make best use of ideas (at the same time making this reciprocal...a very un-IB concept). Not sure how good this will be, but they are friendly (Joe answered my posts twice in a very welcoming manner).

Wish them the best. My best guess is that this will be best for novices. They seem to market on the idea that it is also powerful, but a) I would have no basis for judging this and b) I suspect there has to be a trade-off between the ease of use they aspire to and power/customability. They seem like a nice group, I hope they do well.

It'd be interesting to see some statistics. Server load, flexibility, etc.

As for the thread listing avatars, it seems they've took the XenForo avatar idea and then used it for last posters too... a little extreme IMO. That's just too many avatars!

This forum software is nice, but too limited and professional IMHO.

I'd like the box creation, great idea.

But i see useless features...i don't need to change everyday the name of my board. What the need of the option in the homepage?

I've used it on their site. It's nice. Very very minimalistic. The software is geared toward people who have no experience with forums, but want to get one up and going. The "change it where you see it" approach is interesting, and very good for those who like instant change.

I asked about styling, and there isn't much yet, to speak of. IF I understood the answer correctly, the software will ship with style "packs".

You can see my questions here (I think?)
http://launchforum.com/ask-about-launchforum-3/questions-85/

Its actually a great name. When people search 'launching a new forum' for software ideas on google they'll quickly shoot up to #1 cause they have both key words in their domain name.

As for the thread listing avatars, it seems they've took the XenForo avatar idea and then used it for last posters too... a little extreme IMO. That's just too many avatars!

Looks horribly cluttered and over the top, I think these sort of neat touches normally need a little more subtlety to really work.

Having said that it is early days and it no doubt will refine itself and look much better in the near future :).

Joe Ward, I wondered what he got up to after he left Crawlability/vBSEO.

I think you already know, as do I after reading information here: http://viralage.com/about/

Seems a few ex vBSEO employees are behind it, which is causing a buzz because they obviously expect it will be very SEO friendly forum software as a result.

Interesting though, I wonder what made Joe decide to branch out into forum software? And watching how it works does make me think it's quite similar looking to XenForo. Must admit after watching the video, it looks pretty good and I like a few things you can do with and how easy it is to do them. I like the gallery YouTube feature you can add in posts.

Its actually a great name. When people search 'launching a new forum' for software ideas on google they'll quickly shoot up to #1 cause they have both key words in their domain name.

Chalk that one down to their experience of working with SEO for years. Yeah, quite clever using two important keywords they knew will get the site listed time and time again with people searching for forum software.

I also think we all need to keep in mind that xenForo is version 1.x ;)

I'm more than confident that future updates will include more bad ass options. xenForo is still a baby, and even though it is (a very mature, smart) baby it can still kick the ass of the older kids on the block!!! ;)

It seems that this thread is the best way to get new customers for them.

They have a bigger team and can concentrate on there work instead of having brain****s because of the lawsuite=> they can and do spend more time for communication.
hm

I also think we all need to keep in mind that xenForo is version 1.x ;)

I'm more than confident that future updates will include more bad ass options. xenForo is still a baby, and even though it is (a very mature, smart) baby it can still kick the ass of the older kids on the block!!! ;)

Oh I don't see this as a threat to, or even a competitor with, XenForo, in any way. Launch.Forum is very minimalistic, much moreso than XF.

It is also pretty much geared towards people who have little-to-no idea of how to start a forum. And it's in alpha stage. Release has quite a ways to go yet.

No competition, as far as I'm concerned.

It seems that this thread is the best way to get new customers for them.

They have a bigger team and can concentrate on there work instead of having brain****s because of the lawsuite=> they can and do spend more time for communication.
hm

very true.

I don't see it as a threat to XF....I think they have a different market in mind. I thought in the video it was funny when the guy (not sure who it was) said something along the lines of they want to capture the x million people who don't know how to set up a forum/website now. I think the underlying assumption that this target market wants to set up their own site may be faulty/overly optimistic. (Mainly in terms of the numbers they seem to be basing their target market on). But, still, it may have its own niche in the marketplace and they seem like a nice group of folks. I hope it goes well for them.

Take note of the importers they already offer and which forums are covered. ;)

If you look at the Staff Team page, then scroll down and look at the footer area and what's displayed in it. I see it uses the Zend Framework and JQuery. So yeah, I'd say it does have pretty close connections with XenForo, it uses the same doesn't it and is built on more or less the same platform as launch.forum?

Top Bottom