1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New forum, create users from Excel

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Chimpie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

I read this thread before creating this thread seeing if there's been any updates to XF since October.

I'd like to know if it's possible to create users from an Excel sheet on a brand new installation of XF using standard fields (username, email address). And, on a related note, is it possible to import additional information in custom fields such as physical address, phone numbers, skill listings, etc.?

If I need to explain it in more detail let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Nothing has changed as far as that is concerned.

There is still no other way of creating users other than via the front end in the normal manner or directly in the ACP.

3. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

Thanks.

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

Quick and dirty solution:
    - Use another software to import the users from an excel/csv file.
    - Use a supported importer to bring those users over to xenforo.

You wont need to import or anything else so should be fairly clean.

Lone Wolf likes this.
  6. 3c

3c Active Member

haven't tried this...yet...opinions on why this would or would not work?? also, how much different would appending to a table that already had data be different than what he did?

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As long as you create all of the necessary records in the various tables, there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

That's essentially all the datawriter does.

8. 3c

3c Active Member

various tables?...user info is split into multiple tables?...ugh..

9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

10. 3c

3c Active Member

that's what I figured would happen...getting more complicated by the minute...

sigh....

thanks guys..

11. EasyTarget

EasyTarget Well-Known Member

The hardest part would be making sure you have the password hash'd correctly.

12. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Wow I would love to create new users from Excel. Has anyone made this into an addon yet?