1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developer found: import about 2000 users from excel or similar list?

Discussion in 'Custom Service/Development Requests' started by Raitsa, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

Is there a way to import about 2000 users from excel or similar list?

We have our paying current members listed and would need the same in Xenforo as members:

- first name, last name as user name
    - member number ranging from 01-99999
    - email address
    - create a random password

And possibly:
    When all done, automatically email all users their login credentials.

Willing to pay to get this done, manual one by one import does not feel like a good idea...
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. gfc

gfc Active Member

The import itself would be quite easy with phpmyadmin. Mailing if new passwords its the more complicated thing.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A password reset can be requested by anyone - they just need to enter the email address in the lost password form: https://xenforo.com/community/lost-password/

Presumably each individual member could just do it themselves.
  4. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the feedback.
    I am looking for the easiest possible system for the new forum users that will be created, requiring the minimal effort from the new member that quite possibly have never seen a Xenforo forum yet.

So far, i have just received one offer for this.
  5. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Right away run into a problem that i did not think of:

just received the member list as an .xlsm list but not all people have email addresses in it.

Guys, any ideas how to proceed with those no-email members?

(This addon to be coded will be listed here on the resources by the developer).
  6. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

7. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Damn 2.

Did not notice that one from you @Jon W :(
  8. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Too late?
  9. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

10. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

I've replied at my site.
  11. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Sorry, i am not a member there.
  12. Jon W

Jon W Well-Known Member

Are you sure? It says you are.
  13. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Update: with the help of two of his addons below, @Jon W did an awesome job importing all the users just like i wished in the first message.

One thing i did not think of beforehand was that once the users were imported, they automatically received a private message from
    @AndyB ´s new user conversation addon and then they were sent an email about the new private message.

We were still on a temporary testdomain and i was not planning to let the users know about the new site just yet.
    But live & learn eh :)
    Sheldon, Jon W and AndyB like this.