New Conversation Limit [Deleted]

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

New Conversation Limit - Limits the number of new conversations a member can create in a given amount of time.

Description:

Limits the number of new conversations a member can create in a given amount of time.

This is useful to prevent a spammer creating thousands of conversations on your forum in a short time.

(Example of Options page)

View attachment 79569

Features:
  • Removes Start a New Conversation button if maximum is reached.
  • Prevents direct URL access to create conversations if maximum is reached.
  • Applies to all user groups.
Installation:...

Read more about this resource...

Hi Andy,

Good idea! It's going to be a useful addition for every forum. Here are my suggestions:

Removes Start a New Conversation button if maximum is reached
Prevents direct URL access to create conversations if maximum is reached
Instead of doing this I suggest you to show the member an informational message telling him about reaching the sending limits. Otherwise they might think that there is problem with the system and start reporting it as a bug.
Applies to all user groups.
There should be an usergroup permission so Staff can bypass this limit or maybe allow them to have different limits.

Oh and I think that the limit should be in minutes, not days... it's easier to go from minutes to hours or days (i.e. 60 minutes = 1 hour, 1440 minutes = 1 day).

All the best,
Super120

Your mods are awesome.. but only thing that pervents me from using it.. is urs is global... I need user group perms... like registered cam do 20 a day ... mods can do 30... like that more options.. if all ur mods had that .. km shure more people could use it

Same here, User Group settings would be awesome. That way you can have 'basic' user limits and 'premium'/upgraded group limits (y)

Any plans to add usergroup-based limits? Staff should be able to send as many as they want, while newer users should possibly have less messages than old users.

Great addon, thank you.

Can you also limit by number of posts a user must have in order to start a conversation? For years, I used a plugin in vb where new user must have 15 or 20 to send PM... implemented that after mass PM bomb about 8 or 9 years ago.

thanks!

Thanks. Upgraded.

I am using this to restrict brand new users from misusing the conversations/pm feature.

Does it take into account "Maximum conversation recipients:" setting? Lets say a group can send to 5 users and their daily limit is also 5. That's five conversations?

Top Bottom