Not a bug New category nodes remain invisible until a new forum is made inside of it.

Vekseid

Affected version
Had this happen yesterday.

Make a new category

Move some forums into that category

Category remains hidden (along with the forums it now holds) until you actually make a new forum in that category.

This really sounds like permissions didn't rebuild fully. This isn't something I recall any other reports of (and I can't reproduce the behavior mentioned), though it could happen if you actively closed the window while the permission rebuild job was still running. Normally, that would then get listed (within 15 minutes or so) as a message on the control panel "dashboard".

Can you reproduce it consistently? If so, can you confirm the contents of the xf_job table once it's happened?

Can't reproduce. The delay on my live site is certainly a lot longer, maybe I can try to force it during peak activity.

I remember observing this once a few months ago. I don't think I ever actively investigated it though. I'll give it a short try tomorrow.

Note that if the permission rebuild takes some time (say a minute or two), then this would be expected until the rebuild finishes.

Might be the reason I didn't follow up on it back then. Haven't been able to reproduce it on 2.0.11 or 2.1.0 Beta 4 either way.

@Mike I just had what I presume is the same issue occur when creating a new forum:
Code:
mysql> select * from xf_job;
+--------+-------------------+----------------------+--------------+----------------+--------------+---------------+
| job_id | unique_key        | execute_class        | execute_data | manual_execute | trigger_date | last_run_date |
+--------+-------------------+----------------------+--------------+----------------+--------------+---------------+
|      2 | cron              | XF\Job\Cron          | a:0:{}       |              0 |   1544109578 |    1544109518 |
|      9 | xfCollectStats    | XF:CollectStats      | a:0:{}       |              0 |   1547344734 |    1543985471 |
|  43232 | permissionRebuild | XF:PermissionRebuild | a:0:{}       |              1 |   1543987106 |          NULL |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This one's been waiting awhile obviously, was wondering what I did wrong.

Just triggered it again on category creation:
Code:
mysql> select * from xf_job;
| job_id | unique_key        | execute_class        | execute_data | manual_execute | trigger_date | last_run_date |
|      2 | cron              | XF\Job\Cron          | a:0:{}       |              0 |   1544109944 |    1544109890 |
|      9 | xfCollectStats    | XF:CollectStats      | a:0:{}       |              0 |   1547344734 |    1543985471 |
|  48412 | permissionRebuild | XF:PermissionRebuild | a:0:{}       |              1 |   1544109904 |          NULL |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

One issue here is that running this permission rebuild job from the admin panel requires more than just the create node permission. My normal 'non-superuser admin' can't run it, because I think it's tied to batch jobs IIRC.

One issue here is that running this permission rebuild job from the admin panel requires more than just the create node permission. My normal 'non-superuser admin' can't run it, because I think it's tied to batch jobs IIRC.
These permission rebuild jobs should run regardless of admin permissions. Rebuilding permissions isn't actually something you can run from the "Rebuild caches" admin CP page.

Those jobs should just start running as soon as they are queued up, while the node is saving.

Are you waiting long enough after creating the node for it to kick in and finish? Does it even come up with the "Processing..." screen?

If these jobs do not finish running, you should see this notice on the Admin CP home page:
There are manual rebuild jobs awaiting completion. Continue running them.
If you click that, do the jobs finish successfully (and leave the xf_job table)?

No processing screen. In several cases I never bothered to close the tab for days afterwards.

They don't run until I log in as the superadmin and do this:

If you click that, do the jobs finish successfully (and leave the xf_job table)?

This isn't possible for my normal admin users, because it blocks them on permissions.

I've just tested this on 2.0.12 and have not been able to reproduce it.

I created an admin that only had access to manage nodes (no other admin permissions). The job ran as expected after creating a node. I even interrupted that job and waited for the "manual rebuild jobs awaiting completion" message and clicked that -- that kicked the job off as expected.

This all fits with the stock code as tools/run-job is not permission controlled for exactly this reason. At this point, I can only guess that there's an add-on interfering.

Top Bottom