New Cameras for Christmas!

Kim

So my hubby and I decided to buy ourselves cameras for Christmas.

I got a Canon EOS 60D with twin lens kit EF-S 55-250mm and EF-S 18-55mm
Absolutely love this thing! At first I was very in awe of it, and didn't actually do anything with it for days and days lol.

Hubster got a Canon Powershot SX150is, Which is a point and shoot one, as he is not that into photography, but is currently in a different country, and wanted to take some nice shots to show us his new surroundings etc.

newcameras.webp

I am thrilled with mine, now I know how to use it, I wanted it mainly for food photography, for my business and it is going to be brilliant for that. Since it has been so long since I used an SLR camera, I had forgotten most of what I knew lol, so I signed up for a basic SLR photography course, and wow, what a worthwhile investment that was! I learned so much, and had a lot of fun! Now looking forward to really exploring and experimenting with it, I still have masses to learn, but am going to enjoy the process!

Already I am lusting after a new lens (macro) tripod and remote flash unit... Oh dear, this could become quite costly!!!

Here are a few shots I kind of like from the photography course day.. I haven't yet used it to photograph food really, but am so looking forward to doing so!

IMG_0203.webp
IMG_0233.webp
IMG_0271.webp
IMG_0272.webp

Nice! I have a 60D with the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS. It's a fantastic camera. I just bought myself a new one today though, a Panasonic G5 micro four-thirds. I'll keep the 60D for work (business portraits and architectural stuff), but the m4/3 is going to become my new backcountry camera. Smaller, lighter and I won't cry as hard when I take an accidental swim with it.

Nice! I have a 60D with the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS. It's a fantastic camera. I just bought myself a new one today though, a Panasonic G5 micro four-thirds. I'll keep the 60D for work (business portraits and architectural stuff), but the m4/3 is going to become my new backcountry camera. Smaller, lighter and I won't cry as hard when I take an accidental swim with it.

Nice one! Glad you are happy with yours also :D

The EF-S 10-22 is a wide angle lens? Just learning all this lens technology!!!

I really want a macro lens, need to find out which model is going to be best for food photography (I know I can use the 18-55 but it is f 3.5 I would prefer one lower to get that lovely blurred background and bokeh.

Hahha.. funny I never noticed this tiny spider peeking out at me on this flower until now...

wee_spider_peeking.webp

I recently upgraded my kit to Canon EOS 7D . Thinking about selling it and go for 5d Mark II.

Nice! :D I can't say I can see myself needing anything more than I have now, but who knows if I get the bug I might be lusting after one of those too!!

Nice one! Glad you are happy with yours also :D

The EF-S 10-22 is a wide angle lens? Just learning all this lens technology!!!

I really want a macro lens, need to find out which model is going to be best for food photography (I know I can use the 18-55 but it is f 3.5 I would prefer one lower to get that lovely blurred background and bokeh.

Yes, the 10-22 is an Ultrawide. It's fantastic for landscapes, architecture and tight spaces. I do love being able to shoot some tighter shots now and then with a longer lens but the ultrawide almost never leaves my camera when I'm out and about. Here's a few shots taken with mine on the 60D in Zion National Park, Utah last month.

backcountrypost.webp

index.php

index.php

Yes, the 10-22 is an Ultrawide. It's fantastic for landscapes, architecture and tight spaces. I do love being able to shoot some tighter shots now and then with a longer lens but the ultrawide almost never leaves my camera when I'm out and about. Here's a few shots taken with mine on the 60D in Zion National Park, Utah last month.

OH wow.. very very nice!

I love that bottom water shot.. what shutter speed was that? I have yet to really experiment with that kind of shot.. other than in class we did some long shutter speed experiments, was fun, but must get out there and do some in the wilds!

Awesome Pictures! I also own a Canon Powershot. The rugged Powershot D10. It's what I use for my underwater adventures.

Canon ROCKS as a camera company. Let me tell you a little something about their service. If you have something that fails, even out of warranty, Canon will usually fix it for you.

After my camera failed a few weeks ago, I read stories on the internet where folks would send in something that was well outside the warranty period and got it replaced. I didn't believe it but thought...hmmm wont hurt to try. I just sent in my Powershot D10 because it had a lens error, due to sea water. It's only been out of warranty for three years. They didn't repair it, but they did send me a brand new Powershot D10 for no charge, with a whole new set of accessories in a sealed box.!! Their service is second to none!

OH wow.. very very nice!

I love that bottom water shot.. what shutter speed was that? I have yet to really experiment with that kind of shot.. other than in class we did some long shutter speed experiments, was fun, but must get out there and do some in the wilds!

The red ledges waterfall shot was 1 second at f/22 with a neutral density filter. The Subway shot at the top was 13 seconds long at f/20. It had to be a lot longer to get the leaves swirling in the pool. I find anything close to a second is usually good for silky waterfalls. Much longer and it tends to get a little too silky, especially when there's a lot of water. Waterfalls are super easy really, if it's cloudy or sort of dark, you don't even usually need an ND filter, just set your camera to aperture priority, f/22 (or max aperture) and ISO 100 and, 2 second timer and shoot. If there's too much light, you'll need a filter but otherwise you're good. I took this one near dusk, it's almost a 30 second exposure.

5810275495_78ba56f74a_b.jpg

And if you get to enjoying the long exposures, the 60D does great with night shots! I shot almost all of this with the 60D and the 10-22:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After my camera failed a few weeks ago, I read stories on the internet where folks would send in something that was well outside the warranty period and got it replaced. I didn't believe it but thought...hmmm wont hurt to try. I just sent in my Powershot D10 because it had a lens error, due to sea water. It's only been out of warranty for three years. They didn't repair it, but they did send me a brand new Powershot D10 for no charge, with a whole new set of accessories in a sealed box.!! Their service is second to none!

Agreed. I fully dunked my 60D in a raging torrent last year and they fixed it under warranty, even though liquid damage is not covered at all. I've also sent in my lenses on multiple occasions. They charge the flat rate repair pric, $85 for my $800 wide angle, but they'll do whatever you ask. First time around I had broken it in half, second time around I asked them to replace the front element and give the whole thing a cleaning. They ended up replacing a lot of the parts in the process. Great service.

The red ledges waterfall shot was 1 second at f/22 with a neutral density filter. The Subway shot at the top was 13 seconds long at f/20. It had to be a lot longer to get the leaves swirling in the pool. I find anything close to a second is usually good for silky waterfalls. Much longer and it tends to get a little too silky, especially when there's a lot of water. Waterfalls are super easy really, if it's cloudy or sort of dark, you don't even usually need an ND filter, just set your camera to aperture priority, f/22 (or max aperture) and ISO 100 and, 2 second timer and shoot. If there's too much light, you'll need a filter but otherwise you're good. I took this one near dusk, it's almost a 30 second exposure.

And if you get to enjoying the long exposures, the 60D does great with night shots! I shot almost all of this with the 60D and the 10-22:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*jawdrop* OMG - That video is absolutely Brilliant!!! What a work of art :D Wow.. just wow, and what commitment to spend a whole year filming like that.. very very impressed!!!

Thanks for the details and tips on the water shots too, will try and get some, there are a few little ones around here I can go and photograph.

*jawdrop* OMG - That video is absolutely Brilliant!!! What a work of art :D Wow.. just wow, and what commitment to spend a whole year filming like that.. very very impressed!!!

Thanks for the details and tips on the water shots too, will try and get some, there are a few little ones around here I can go and photograph.

Thank you. There is quite the community of amateur photogs in my forum if you ever want to pickup some more tips. A few step by step guides over there on things like shooting stars as well. http://backcountrypost.com/

I could waste some serious amounts of time on your site ibenick lol! Some really inspiring photography on there!

Amazing how similar some parts of the Utah environment seems to be to outback Australia, many of them could have been shot here in Australia, very similar terrain and colours!

And of course your forum is a lovely Xenforo :love: I found a Canon EOS forum that I joined, but it is vB and I really have a hard time being on them lol, so ugly, so dated!

My only feedback would be I would love a light theme option, the dark is very nice, but not to everyone's taste. A Wonderful site though!

Thanks, @Kim. Australia definitely has some similarities to the Colorado Plateau. We have at least one member from down under who has posted a this report from camping in Mungo National Park. Pretty wild how similar the two places are. I also agree on the dark theme. When I first launched it, I was trying to create a similar light theme but the members voted and said they preferred the black for photos. I've been working on a new project that is in between being a dark and light theme and I'm hooked. The next version of backcountrypost will most definitely be something in between.

Top Bottom