New Anti-Spam service available soon.

We use Q&A and 0 bots get through. On our dev install when we accidentally had it public with no captcha we had thousands of bots sign up in a few days.

I've got no idea how many are now getting blocked by the default Q&A and don't think that's reported anywhere is it? I'll take a look at the server logs, cheers.

Almost 400 spam registrations today, and counting. Does that get me to be a member of the big boys club? Cause if not, I'll have other ways to prove I'm a big boy...

We had four spammers run amuck this morning on our board and was able to flood 400 messages on 3-4 different accounts in about an hour or so.

If anyone is having problems with spam, I've been using XenUtilities (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenutiles-tools.104/) with all 3 anti-spam databases (StopForumSpam, BotScout, FSpamList) and its registration timer feature which blocks a lot of spam registrations. Now combine that with the 'are you a human' captcha (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/are-you-a-human-spam-combat.1011/) and you shouldn't have any spam issues. I've been running this setup for months and not a single spammer has gotten through.

To give you an idea of how many registration attempts it's actively blocking:

QbxvBlV.png

37,718 total, ~5,450 of those are normal registrations which of course were not blocked, the rest are all spam registration attempts.

There are of course many other addons and ways to combat spam, but I'm sharing what has worked for me.

Edit: If you end up using are you a human captcha, beware that it does not work in overlays. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-you-a-human-spam-combat.36152/page-3#post-458022

Hi,

Is there any chance this could be integrated into Jaxel's XenUtiles add on? I don't know if Jaxel would be interested, but it would sure be great! :D

Anti-Spam service which should provide an additional layer of security against the spam bots, even manual registrations

How is StopBotters achieving this currently? I don't see any method to submit the registration/account details of manual/human spammers in any of the add-ons listed as currently utilising this service?

I'm seeing an increasing amount of manual/human spammers that obviously are not being caught by bot checking methods, and I thought one of the strongest features/attractions of an XF specific, at least currently, anti-spam service was to allow admin collaboration, through submission, for manual/human spammers too so that StopBotters enabled add-ons would also stop these spammers from being able to register.

How is StopBotters achieving this currently? I don't see any method to submit the registration/account details of manual/human spammers in any of the add-ons listed as currently utilising this service?

I'm seeing an increasing amount of manual/human spammers that obviously are not being caught by bot checking methods, and I thought one of the strongest features/attractions of an XF specific, at least currently, anti-spam service was to allow admin collaboration, through submission, for manual/human spammers too so that StopBotters enabled add-ons would also stop these spammers from being able to register.

Manual spammers will always slip through due to their low impact aproach. There are systems in place which should pick them up, but on a whole manual spammers are a whole new ball game than bots.

However, a future service update may have this ability (reporting back users who have been spam cleaned) for analysis.

There are systems in place which should pick them up
This may need review. Analysing my human/manual spammers over the last few weeks, and not one has been within StopBotters (via FoolBotHoneyPot). All StopBotters detections have been with other detection methods too (no javascript, too fast registration submission, values in hidden field). In fact, for every registration that did not have hidden fields completed (eg human/manual) in the last 3 weeks (as far back as I went), not one was detected/within StopBotters.

However, a future service update may have this ability (reporting back users who have been spam cleaned) for analysis.
Terrific, this is where I feel the real value of anti-spam lookup service is.

This may need review. Analysing my human/manual spammers over the last few weeks, and not one has been within StopBotters (via FoolBotHoneyPot). All StopBotters detections have been with other detection methods too (no javascript, too fast registration submission, values in hidden field). In fact, for every registration that did not have hidden fields completed (eg human/manual) in the last 3 weeks (as far back as I went), not one was detected/within StopBotters.

Terrific, this is where I feel the real value of anti-spam lookup service is.

As you can imagine, human spammers are a lot harder to detect.

Idea shave been discussed at making it easier, but nothing solid as of the moment.

Good Q&As can easily cut down on spam registrations.

Questions that have the answer(s) in them do not work. Such as what is nth letter of the the word, etc..those are useless instead having multiple questions around your niche topic can significantly decrease automated spam bots.

The above is from my personal experience.

Top Bottom