Need some advice, previous owner wants to buy website back

The guy sounds like a total tosser (excuse me) to me. But if someone were this serious about their partnered website, they'd at least know the login in case of an emergency. He gave you a rubbish excuse. You owe him nothing.

Sean - to be honest, I think you should think about what has happened and manage your own expectations. I've been there before too, buying a domain for a few hundred dollars which I thought was an awesome Web 2.0 name and only six letters. (Jeez... I really have to develop it!!!) The prior owner woke up and contacted me several weeks later and wanted it back. I'm not unsympathetic at all, not a vulture and don't care to take advantage of someone else's misfortune. This person, however, was acting as if I owed it to him to turn back the clock and hand it over after he decided that he suddenly wanted it back. He'd be kind enough to provide me with a token for my efforts, which I didn't find acceptable and moved on.

(1) I don't know why you contacted the former owner and offered him an admin position. Do you think that this person lost their domain would be happy posting and administrating on your board, for free, without compensation? Why? Because of the coveted, impressive title? And if you disappoint him, how do you think he's going to act on your new site?

(2) I don't know if Mercedes will zealously seek to shut down a "fan site" that may be in violation of their trademark. It's a very tough issue to handle both to do it and not to do it. If you get a very good offer on the site, you might want to sell it and be rid of any potential challenges you may have later when you might lose it for less.

(3) If you paid good money to get this domain, planned, etc., then this person must compensate you reasonably. You can simply say "this is what I paid, I planned while you didn't bother to contact me about your interest, and if you really want to buy it back, I need to be reasonably compensated for my costs and efforts." Put a decent price tag and see if he is willing to purchase. Clean conscience and you'll have your answer.

Michael your reply is pretty much dead on, the first paragraph is almost identical to what happened to me here. :D

1) To be honest I contacted him in hopes of him still having interest or passion in the topic, and was hoping that by him coming back, many of the previous members would also come back. In a way, I thought it would be easier to have the site take off with him around, not mentioning that he had an old database backup with all the users informations.

However, after making the site and waiting, it seems to be not the case. Some of the previous members have returned since, and actually like the new site and direction I am taking it with.

I also managed to find one of the very first members a C63 AMG he was looking to buy, so in a way the site has helped make a huge sale already lol.

2) I heard from a friend of mine who owns a Mercedes-Benz Repair shop that Mercedes does go after businesses or websites who use their logo. And if you notice, most Mercedes-Benz fan sites don't have the Mercedes logo in their Header/Footer section or anywhere near the name of the website.

I'm hoping that it will be the same case with AMG. I have stayed away from using their logo in the header and have entered a caption on the footer mentioning that I'm in no way affiliated with Mercedes-Benz or AMG.

3) Very true, I'm planning to do that and get back to him with a price. If he doesn't agree I will still be fine because so far I'm having fun with the website :)

Thanks again, and apologies for the long reply back :D

No apologies for long replies. I always appreciate excellent posts that are clear and provide good details. Seems like you've got things on track, very happy to hear and best of luck with the site.

You did WHAT?!?!?
spanking.gif

No no no no no, and again, I say NO! I can think of all kinds of ways you could get screwed, and none of them are good.

Hahah that made me laugh, thanks!!!

On a more serious note. It is your domain, you do what feels right. I am a terrible business man because I am too nice. Don't fall into that category trust me.

Top Bottom