Need pointed in right direction regarding creating an add-on

Tristan10

Hello. I would like to make an add-on for my XenForo board. I do not have much (hardly any) web design experience and was wondering if someone could help me or lead me to some resources that could get me started. (I have already looked at the numerous Development Resource threads, but none seem to accomplish anything close to what I want.)

I need my add-on to:
  • Add a field and button to the Personal Details page
  • Have a numeric validation system (like those emails to confirm registrations by entering a code)
  • Use an API (unofficial xbox api) to gather and send information
  • Add users to a group if validation is successful
  • Only allow 2 attempts per day
  • Check to make sure that a user or name is not on a "do not send list"
  • Probably more stuff but I think I covered the basics
If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated!

Hello,

Without any experience, that seems like a hard things to do in my opinion as it requires both html/php/mysql knowledge.
Before starting big, I would recommend you learn a bit about those 3 technologies and then try do such thing.

Anyways some hints :
  • Add a field and button to the Personal Details page
Through template modifications.
Then you will need to get that data on the server side by extending the controller.
  • Have a numeric validation system (like those emails to confirm registrations by entering a code)
Not sure what that mean, you want a CAPTCHA in preference page ?!
  • Use an API (unofficial xbox api) to gather and send information
That would be some coding on php side I would guess.
  • Add users to a group if validation is successful
You need to look at the code in admincp, the controller that handles the attribution of a usergroup to an user.
  • Only allow 2 attempts per day
You'll need to store attempts in dB.
  • Check to make sure that a user or name is not on a "do not send list"

But honestly if none of the things I stated made sense to you, you should consider getting this done for you, or wait till you have learned some of this basic stuff.

Clément

Top Bottom