Can somebody point me in the right direction... have forum thumbnails cropped like XFMG thumbnails?

Kevin

OK, based on searching the forums here I might be in the minority of people wanting to do this, but can somebody point me in the direction of what would be needed to have my forum post attachment thumbnails to be 'zoomed & cropped' so that they mimic the thumbnails of XMFG where all image thumbnails have the exact same size?

To answer the inevitable "Why?" question...

When browsing XFMG media you get to see a really nice grid of thumbnails with the images all aligned & the same size. It makes for a nice responsive display. How that is done is because the generated thumbnails are actually being cropped, when necessary, so that they all have the same dimensions. By having the same dimensions it allows them to be squared off for that nice grid display. By contrast forum post attachments generate thumbnails that maintain the aspect ratio of the original image.

The problem comes in when somebody is trying to do something, like, oh, I don't know, like maybe trying to do a page of forum attachment thumbnails presented in the same look & feel as XFMG so that, from a users perspective, the sites look & feel and their experience is consistent everywhere. 👼 Yes, I could do something like using a 3rd-party library to present a masonry style display but since the site also uses XFMG to present image thumbnails my preference is that I mimic the stock XF display so that as a user goes between different parts of the site then they have a consistent experience. If I end up using a masonry display for one part of the site then it'd drive me nuts leading me to figure out how to get XFMG to not crop its thumbs and then change XFMG to also use a masonry display so by switching the forum attachment thumbs to mimic XFMG it saves me both time & mental anxiety. :D

And, yes, the cropped version of the thumbnail is not the full image but it's a thumbnail, I think in 2018 most people realize that thumbnails are not meant to be miniature replicated versions of the full image.

Mmmm..... this got moved to "Styling & Customization" but the question is really related to an add-on I'm working on and the solution will require code changes.

It wasn't clear you were working on an add-on - it sounded more like you wanted to customise your own site.

I have moved it to development discussions, which is more appropriate than resource discussions, in that case.

It wasn't clear you were working on an add-on - it sounded more like you wanted to customise your own site.
Like a lot of add-ons it is starting life as something for my own site but it's being packaged up as an add-on in case somebody else has use for it. ;)

Top Bottom