Need idea of latency times

ibaker

Hi
My server is in Sydney Australia and was wondering what the latency is to it from other places around the world. I would be very grateful if some of you could do a ping to www.recreationalflying.com and let me know what the m/s delay is from your location...thanks greatly if you can help

Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 44ms

you ever considered hosting a quake server?
Thanks mate but you're in Melb like me ;) was hoping to get some times from UK, Europe, Canada, East and West Coast USA etc...but hey, thanks!

Incidentally, I'm with Optus cable in Melb and get:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 30ms

i knew that. i was being a smart ass ;)
i pinged it from my server in atlanta and it averages 210ms.
thats about the same latency i get on nearly every american server, so i suspect that will be a common average.

292ms average from the UK.
Thanks mate...crikey, that's not going to be good...do you have any idea what UK to West Coast USA is likely to be with an average provider?

Looks like I may have to relocate my site to a US host

UK (or many other countires in europe for that matter) in a solid datacenter to west coast USA residential is no problem like 85 - 110 for ping is what I have experienced on average.

Thanks mate...crikey, that's not going to be good...do you have any idea what UK to West Coast USA is likely to be with an average provider?

Looks like I may have to relocate my site to a US host
If someone can give me an IP address to ping... xenforo.com averages around 113ms.

Just tried from another host in the UK located in the heart of Docklands, average 318ms to your site, 116ms to xenforo.com.

UK (or many other countires in europe for that matter) in a solid datacenter to west coast USA residential is no problem like 85 - 110 for ping is what I have experienced on average.
Pardon?

You will never get 85ms from the UK to the West Coast of the US unless you are travelling faster than the speed of light. London to the East Coast is around 74ms at best, then you have at least 40ms to get across to the West Coast.

Thanks guys, with a previous test showing around 200ms from Australia to a West Coast US server (Linode and WiredTree) the overall averages tend to say for me to move my site to a West Coast US server...would be the best all round with the US visitors on my site having the least latency but no more then around 200ms for UK, Europe and Australia.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Incidentally, I'm with Optus cable in Melb and get:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 30ms
optus adsl is what i getting the 44ms on.
i was on excite@home (optus) in the 'unlimited' days, then the 'unlimited netstat' days, and left them shortly thereafter.

Ping-statistik för 27.111.92.188:
Paket: Skickade = 4, Mottagna = 4, Förlorade = 0
Ungefärlig överföringstid i millisekunder:
Lägsta = 355 ms, Högsta = 358 ms, Medel = 356 ms

from south sweden

Pardon?

You will never get 85ms from the UK to the West Coast of the US unless you are travelling faster than the speed of light. London to the East Coast is around 74ms at best, then you have at least 40ms to get across to the West Coast.
Your right....I was half asleep and forgot to include from where I am on the east coast to California which is between 27 and 50 ms for me normally.

apologies.

Top Bottom