Native app for communities

Would be great if the app had thread thumbnails and short text excerpts in the thread list view, like on Tapatalk. In addition tags and prefixes could be assigned default images by admin so if there are no images in the first post then prefix and tag images could be used as thumbnails.

Thumbnails could be retrieved in this order:

1) The first image in the first post
2) Tag image (admin could choose to use this on a specific thread instead of the first image)
3) Prefix image

If there were no thread images, tags or prefixes then there would be more space for thread topic and text excerpt. That is also fine :)

Thread lists would be a lot more informative and engaging to view with thumbnails and text excerpts. They would also decrease back and forth navigation between thread lists and threads. It is also easier to remember what threads one has already watched.

View attachment 249281is

Is that image Tapatalk ?

it does look nice.

Does this app have support for images in any respect ?
I haven't really used the app. You can download it for free and signing up as a forum owner is also free. I think that if it really was a great app there wouldn't be demand for Audentio's community app.

Last edited:
Hey all! Hope your week is going well. Here at Audentio we've made a few updates to our community app that we're excited to share, one of which is the ability to access your WordPress articles in your app alongside the community! This feature pulls WordPress content into the app so your community members can enjoy reading the articles you create. Take a look here!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@meganrose

Please send me a DM with the price. Thank you!

Hey everyone! 😊 We're happy to share some incredible updates to our Community App, including:
  • Better native rendering of threads
  • A new feeds experience that functions more like what social media users are used to
  • Profile posts / status update feature
  • In-app purchases / user upgrades
  • WordPress integration
  • And navigation restructure to show more custom content
Take a look below to see it in action, and learn more here. Have a great week!

Hey everyone! 😊 We're happy to share some incredible updates to our Community App, including:
  • Better native rendering of threads
  • A new feeds experience that functions more like what social media users are used to
  • Profile posts / status update feature
  • In-app purchases / user upgrades
  • WordPress integration
  • And navigation restructure to show more custom content
Take a look below to see it in action, and learn more here. Have a great week!

How much, I didn't see a price on your site?

Would be great if the app had thread thumbnails and short text excerpts in the thread list view, like on Tapatalk. In addition tags and prefixes could be assigned default images by admin so if there are no images in the first post then prefix and tag images could be used as thumbnails.

Thumbnails could be retrieved in this order:

1) The first image in the first post
2) Tag image (admin could choose to use this on a specific thread instead of the first image)
3) Prefix image

If there were no thread images, tags or prefixes then there would be more space for thread topic and text excerpt. That is also fine :)

Thread lists would be a lot more informative and engaging to view with thumbnails and text excerpts. They would also decrease back and forth navigation between thread lists and threads. It is also easier to remember what threads one has already watched.

Screenshot from Tapatalk

View attachment 249281
IMG_0226.PNG

@Mike C look how clean the Tapatalk interface is. It's easy to see the separation between each thread, the images are all the same size, the text is evenly aligned to the left while the images are aligned to the right. This is how modern social/forum apps are designed. Even Reddit is built as such.

Now look at the Community app vs. Twitter:

comp.jpg

It's hard to use Community for more than a few minutes because your eyes are shifting everywhere. The average user won't understand what the issue is, they'll simply not use the app and go back to Twitter or TikTok.

I was going to use your custom development to indent everything but it was going to cost $4000. That's in addition to $3000 I was already going to pay PLUS $950 Set Up Fee. My quote is as follows:
  • $950 - Set Up Fee
  • $3000 - To Customize Colors, Change Drop Down Feeds Menu to Static Horizontal Menu, Change Bottom Menu Icons, and move Filter a few px downward.
  • $4000 - To Align Text, Images, Usernames, and Thread Actions to a single vertical line e.g. Reddit, Tapatalk, Twitter, TikTok, and everyone else.
  • $5000 +/- Yearly Custom Development License
The app shows a lot of promise but spending $8,000 to bring it up to par with modern apps, while owning none of the code, and knowing that Audentio will cut User access to the app if a monthly payment is missed is a bit much to swallow. At least allow the app to remain functional but ineligible for updates...that would show some empathy for the businesses who trust Audentio with their community and money.

I don't doubt that a lot of work is going into Community but if the goal is to make everyone take the Base app then it should be more in alignment with modern Apps and should allow for more customization. I think you all have a platform that could change the way people deploy and interface with Xenforo but it doesn't seem like 99% of Xenforo board operators are in your target market.

Your Buyer Persona is:

John Doe
  • Has a business.
  • Willing to invest in a mobile app for business.
  • Is ok with paying $3000 a year for maintenance of mobile app.
  • Does not care to brand the mobile app with their logo or anything that makes it recognizable.

Attachments

• z.webp
    z.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Follow-Up: Audentio Community App.

So back on July 7th, 2022 I made a post about the experience I had interfacing with Audentio regarding their Community app. Shortly after the post went live @Mike C reached out to me and offered to review the quote. I will explain my experience from that point forward.

TL;DR: Our Community app is now listed in Google Play and Apple App Store and users are loving it, engagement is up, registrations are up and we are in a good position to grow our community.

So Mike and I talked, came to an agreement on terms, and then we embarked on the journey. There were a few rough patches throughout development but I always felt like I had Audentio's support and commitment. As an American, dealing with Audentio was easy as I didn't have to get up at 1AM to talk to them. Any American who has worked with Indian or Russian devs knows the pain...that's not the case here.

Highlights
  • Audentio really went the extra mile for us.
  • Test Builds were released at least once a week which helped tremendously during the beta testing process.
  • The resulting app reflected what I wireframed. There were some slight tweaks that had to be made but overall I'm satisfied and so are my users.
  • There's support there for you when you need it. There are other options out there but if the developer can't respond within 24 hours to edit the CSS on an add-on that adds a bunny icon next to a username do you think they are going to be there when it's time to wrangle with google during the 4th app rejection? NOOOOOO! Audentio was there every step of the way and got us across the finish line.
  • Relatively affordable if your Xenforo board is a business rather than a hobby.

Issues
  • Communication at times left me hanging. I was never neglected, never had to question the status of the project but I felt that at certain points I was steps ahead of my Project Manager. For instance, the App Store rejected the app, I responded to the rejection, the App was approved, went live and my PM e-mailed me the next day saying the app was live. You may think it's petty but the closer you get to launch the more important being in sync is. If you have marketing, press releases, etc going out you need to know when the app will be available.
  • Attention to the finer details. My Brand name was misspelled multiple times throughout the app.

Conclusion

I'm extremely satisfied with the product and I look forward to growing my partnership with Audentio. If you need to take your Xenforo board to the next level I wholeheartedly believe that this is the most responsible avenue to go down, at least right now. There's cheaper alternatives but you do not get the support that you get with Audentio. I never had to wait more than 72 hours for an answer and that's standard issue for the alternatives.

Code:
https://6zeros.net/app/

Last edited:
Top Bottom