Native app for communities

The app will come with its own ultra-optimized XenForo theme. It is running UI.X and we specifically have spent the last few weeks cleaning it up and optimizing it. Currently we're scoring an 80-85 on Google Lighthouse for web, a bit less for mobile, and this is with 200 nodes on the index page. We expect some communities will be in the 90s, which isn't so bad as at last check XF.com community is in at around 50-60 (currently). We do "cheat" by removing last post avatar and other "nice-to-haves" but those make a big impact and our goal is to be FAST.

1. You won't have to use this theme as your web default, it can run only when people are using webview within the app (so its consistent with the rest of the UI
2. It has dark mode and its automatic
3. We can choose what we want to remove or show selectively (such as header or footer, if you have copyright removal paid for)
4. If you get back to an XF web page, we can redirect them back into the app
5. Some functions, like bookmarking or even replying, could be controlled natively as an override

Worth noting, as part of our foundational idea of building this, we want to keep XF doing what XF does best and not get too much in the way. A reminder that all of these features will be easily customizable so you can turn them on or off. So technically if you want JUST XF in a webview? That is still doable, we just don't think you'll get approved by Apple :P

Screenshot_20200825-174054.png
1598394893067.png
1598394916277.png
1598394946371.png
1598394959045.png
1598395019057.png

Last edited:
Is this just for specific communities or is this something you'll be opening to anyone to purchase/use for their sites?

Is this just for specific communities or is this something you'll be opening to anyone to purchase/use for their sites?
We aim to sell less than 50 this year, and are at I think 9 right now prerelease. If you're interested you're welcome to contact me, can schedule a call to go over what you're looking for.

But if you're referring to self-install process, no. This wont be in the RM. It is a white glove service. But as a custom solution its quite straight forward. Some pieces of technology are a bit too technical to try to make documentation for. I mean sure those that are technical won't have an issue but others who have far less experience (with XF, native apps, programming, devops, you name it) struggle with certain things. This is definitely one of those. And after all, we expect we'll be customizing each app for each unique community's individual goals.

Hi everyone! We’ve been working on a lot of exciting projects this summer here at Audentio. Here’s a highlight of one of our favorites that’s still in progress - Community App!

What makes it so exciting? It gives communities a native mobile experience with push notifications, swipe gestures, and so much more. Just take a look at this sneak peek video to see our demo in action!

We can’t wait to show you the final result :) Stay tuned and sign up for our Newsletter to keep in touch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

img-screens-xf.webp

Last edited:
Hi everyone! We’ve been working on a lot of exciting projects this summer here at Audentio. Here’s a highlight of one of our favorites that’s still in progress - Community App!

What makes it so exciting? It gives communities a native mobile experience with push notifications, swipe gestures, and so much more. Just take a look at this sneak peek video to see our demo in action!

We can’t wait to show you the final result :) Stay tuned and sign up for our Newsletter to keep in touch.

View attachment 235546

So what's the difference between the app provided by XenForo and yours?

So what's the difference between the app provided by XenForo and yours?
Lots of things, such as this is a native app as opposed to a PWA. But from a community management or product perspective, some of the main reasons would be: being in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store (for exposure, younger audiences prefer apps, branding, etc.), iOS push notifications, proper UX for mobile, native support (such as camera, sharing, etc.) and more. This product is likely only for those who value such things and I do not think it is a requirement that every or even most communities have. If you find value in it for your community great! But XenForo and especially the 2.2 updates should work just fine as is for you. The mobile experience on XenForo is quite good.

Lots of things, such as this is a native app as opposed to a PWA. But from a community management or product perspective, some of the main reasons would be: being in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store (for exposure, younger audiences prefer apps, branding, etc.), iOS push notifications, proper UX for mobile, native support (such as camera, sharing, etc.) and more. This product is likely only for those who value such things and I do not think it is a requirement that every or even most communities have. If you find value in it for your community great! But XenForo and especially the 2.2 updates should work just fine as is for you. The mobile experience on XenForo is quite good.
Probably and the price is high too.

Another core reason is native ads, ads what wont be blocked by ad blocker, as well as eventually integrating with Pay options to sell native subscriptions.

In watchlist. If the price is right...maybe.

Would it be possible to login with fingerprint/faceid? That would be a nice feature!

Will Apple accept an app that is mostly webviews?

From the very strict app guidelines: "4.2 Minimum Functionality Your app should include features, content, and UI that elevate it beyond a repackaged website..."

Beyond notifications what does this offer (that app store reviewers will appreciate?).

In my experience apps that are not significantly native are rejected. Have you had any success getting a build in to the App Store yet?

For forums with premium memberships these would also need to be sold in natively as an IAP as a priority, as everyone will have seen from headlines that Apple does not like people selling/gating premium content outside of the App Store.

Would love it if this all did come together, I'd be very interested. The Froala editor is abysmal on iOS and push notifications would be awesome.

Last edited:

View attachment 235546

Looks clean. Would love to try it and replace our current app.

First time tutorial is a great idea. You'll need to allow for some basic branding I hope, if it's partly web view I hope some items are customizable to allow for some level of third party extensibility. Swipe gestures are a nice touch.

Would it be possible to login with fingerprint/faceid? That would be a nice feature!
Indeed so! There is an issue for this on our plate. Not sure how we might authenticate this against XF but will give it some thought!
Will Apple accept an app that is mostly webviews?
Its probably not safe to say that the app is mostly webviews anymore. I should probably scrap this thread and rewrite the first post since so much has changed, as I dont think I can edit anymore. Arguably its mostly native with certain views being webview (currently any add-on will be webview, threadview full - we have a basic version native, advanced search, conversations, and others). But we're kinda working through those views.

Have you had any success getting a build in to the App Store yet?

Indeed we have! We have a forum that I might share here in the next few weeks that has already been accepted by Apple and Google. Apple approval took a bit of back and forth as is normal but we got in no problem. One of the largest XenForo instances is going live with the app in a few weeks so might share their link as well.

Also I cannot stress enough any mobile app should have dedicated media upload buttons outside of froala.

:love: WOW!! That's a great news!

Been looking for something like this for long, will definitely consider to get it!

If I got it well, it will also support any Audentio theme like iO and iO Dark, isn't it?

Our app page is live now: https://community.audent.io/app

We do have a live demo but keeping it private for now. We also have a 10m user site going live with it end of the month and might be able to share their app then. Ill be asking permission to do so when its live.

We are taking demos right now for anyone interested, but we are half way through the amount we wish to sell for the next year. Feel free to use contact form on the site above if interested.

Thanks for all who followed and offered suggestions and sent me messages. We spent far more time than we thought we would on this but the result is truly amazing. Its easily our best work yet and am excited to help extend XenForo in this way for those who need it.

I'll likely post some updates on the 2.2 update and social features we're adding, but those are scheduled for a few months from now. So for now thatll do it! :D

Top Bottom