MySQL vs Percona MySQL

Also on the topic of Maria vs Percona. I have found Percona to be the best bench marking for xF, while Maria to have better benchmarks for vB.

Perhaps because the tables in XF are predominantly InnoDB.

The Percona site also has some great blog entries with real-world examples of tests and optimisations; which is where I found a few SSD specific .cnf settings that came in handy. ;)

Perhaps because the tables in XF are predominantly InnoDB.

The Percona site also has some great blog entries with real-world examples of tests and optimisations; which is where I found a few SSD specific .cnf settings that came in handy. ;)
Exactly, by default XF has more if not all InnoDB tables (if InnoDB engine is enabled otherwise if InnoDB engine disabled all XF tables default to MyISAM) compared to vB4 which at most out of the box would of have 6x InnoDB tables.

My current server has mySQL on it along with WHM/cPanel. My new server is now built and has by default mySQL and WHM/cPanel also on it. To migrate my sites over to the new server I was going to use the WHM account migration tool.

My question is...if I set the new server up with Percona first can I still migrate the accounts over OR do I have to have mySQL on the new server, migrate across and then install Percona?

My question is...if I set the new server up with Percona first can I still migrate the accounts over OR do I have to have mySQL on the new server, migrate across and then install Percona?

If the database on the older server is 5.5 then either way is fine, if it is 5.1, I'd personally import it over to 5.1 first and then upgrade everything.

From what we have seem here, Percona has made a real difference with our setup.

MariaDB is still being hammered in our testing environment but, at the moment, Percona still has a better result for XF use.

Top Bottom