MYSQL 5.7 vs. 8.0

Alfuzzy

Working on improving website page loading speed.

Was wondering if anyone had an opinion if MYSQL 8.0.28 would significantly help with page loading speed...vs. MYSQL 5.7.37?

Thanks

Last edited:
PHP 8 should be faster at doing the PHP side of things than PHP 7.3, I don't know if enabling the JIT part of PHP 8 makes that much difference for XF, because I've not benchmarked it much. But from what I've seen the differences shouldn't be that significant.

If in doubt, try it out - it certainly won't be worse performance. The only question is whether your add-ons are compatible (likely they are though, if they're current)

Thanks for the PHP info. Original question regarded MYSQL (5.7.37 vs. 8.028).:)

Question is = Would MYSQL 8 speed up page loading significantly...compared to MYSQL 5.7.37?

Thanks for the PHP info. Original question regarded MYSQL (5.7.37 vs. 8.028).:)

Question is = Would MYSQL 8 speed up page loading significantly...compared to MYSQL 5.7.37?

First, mysql or mariadb should always be configured so that it can properly use the available system resources.
Then the following improvements will also be noticeable.
Although we use MariaDB 10.6.7 here, it can also be said that the system runs more stable and performant and *SQL/DB still performs its tasks stably and reliably even with 20,000 users online.

Last edited:
mysql or mariadb should always be configured so that it can properly use the available system resources
Hey, Masetrix! Have you few minutes to explain a little bit further regarding configuring? How to test if it's properly configured?

First, mysql or mariadb should always be configured so that it can properly use the available system resources.
Then the following improvements will also be noticeable.
Thanks Masetrix.:)

Wholly Crap...your graph shows a tremendous difference between MYSQL 5.7 & 8.

Unfortunately not 100% sure what is meant by "mysql or mariadb should always be configured so that it can properly use the available system resources".

What I mean is...not being an expert myself...I'm not sure what specific "available system resources" we're talking about...and how to tweak them for best performance.

I'd love to learn more!

What I mean is...not being an expert myself...I'm not sure what specific "available system resources" we're talking about...and how to tweak them for best performance.
First you should run mysqltuner and tweak your settings. To do this, you can follow this information.

Hey, Masetrix! Have you few minutes to explain a little bit further regarding configuring? How to test if it's properly configured?
First use this script - after reading the information.

If almost everything is found to be good, you are already on the right track.
The rest then depends on many factors and cannot simply be dealt with here.

Much more important than page loading speed which is likely to be roughly the same are all the thousands of security and bug improvements. Therefore, using the latest software over something years old is a no-brainer. At most, stay a point version or two back if you're really worried about potential issues, but no more than that.

Much more important than page loading speed which is likely to be roughly the same are all the thousands of security and bug improvements.
Right now my main goal is to improve page loading speed...since at the moment Google Search Console is saying site is failing "Core Web Vitals" on mobile (zero URL's passing Core Web Vitals)...and some of the failing parameters relate to page loading speed.

Thus (at the moment) looking for items that will improve page loading speed.:)

Thanks

Right now my main goal is to improve page loading speed...since at the moment Google Search Console is saying site is failing "Core Web Vitals" on mobile (zero URL's passing Core Web Vitals)...and some of the failing parameters relate to page loading speed.

Thus (at the moment) looking for items that will improve page loading speed.:)

Thanks
Sounds almost like a fault condition. Updating to the latest version might just fix it. Make a backup first though.

Sounds almost like a fault condition. Updating to the latest version might just fix it. Make a backup first though.
It's various things. Have been making some changes/improvements over the past week.

Bunch of changes = small improvement overall. But still below the bar to make "Google Mobile" happy. Need to do more improvements. Just looking for anything that might contribute a little or a lot...to get Google Mobile off my back!;)

Desktop numbers are awesome...mobile numbers are the problem.

Thanks

Reactions: FTL
I'm using PageSpeed Insights to do the testing (https://pagespeed.web.dev).

If 100% of the advertising is turned off for the site Home Page (the page this test tests)...PageSpeed Insights results are the following:

Desktop = 95-99
Mobile = 66-82

* The rare mobile test run score can be in the 50's.

Results do vary a bit from test to test. The best mobile score of 82 still says "Core Web Vitals Assessment:Failed".

Desktop scores are super!

Remember, like @Anatoliy says, that ads kill your scores, mainly because you load external js.

To test your website/webserver you should disable your ads momentarily.

Yes I understand in the first section of the test results (Core Web Vitals Assessment: Passed or Failed)...is based the previous 28 days of data.

Here are my results:

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 1.07.24 PM copy.webp

The numbers I quoted above:

Desktop = 95-99
Mobile = 66-82

Were from various individual current test's.

Here's the result of a test I ran earlier today:

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 1.19.22 PM copy.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom