MySQL Standard 2000$ and the MySQL Classis will have no InnoDB?

MSSQL isn't too practical for most as it doesn't work on Linux...very few will be willing to use Windows over Linux.

You can have a dedicated MSSQL server running on windows serving your Linux powered application.
This is not for small sites though :)

You can have a dedicated MSSQL server running on windows serving your Linux powered application.
This is not for small sites though :)

True but for most of us it's not viable. Tbh mssql would be pointless for something like xf. There are a number of free mysql alternatives that are cross platform and becoming widely supported. They would be much more practical in the unlikely event that a move from mysql was necessitated.

True but for most of us it's not viable. Tbh mssql would be pointless for something like xf. There are a number of free mysql alternatives that are cross platform and becoming widely supported. They would be much more practical in the unlikely event that a move from mysql was necessitated.

Yes this is not for most sites.
This is for big boards and people who need Sphinx (provided the application support MSSQL of course). For instance IPB have the option for MSSQL, I have tried it and it's just awesome.
no MySQL locking no dealing with sphinx ... it just works out of the box with full text-indexing and search support .:)

Well it is bound to happen. I just think people will find new solutions.

Much like the vB/IB debate. People found a new solution in XF.

Yes this is not for most sites.
This is for big boards and people who need Sphinx (provided the application support MSSQL of course). For instance IPB have the option for MSSQL, I have tried it and it's just awesome.
no MySQL locking no dealing with sphinx ... it just works out of the box with full text-indexing and search support .:)

Completely agree with larger boards. Obviously there would be no harm in it being an option for XF (heck the more systems it can support the better!). As long as there is always a decent, free and/or opensource database option (e.g MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, etc). Shouldnt be a problem however as I really cant see MySQL going anywhere for a long time! Sure they have to focus on profit, but the opensource/free version is under the GPL, so you can bet that a fork (such as MariaDB) would be created if they did suddenly restrict the free version.

Okay, okay, I've checked out the mariadb site, and downloaded the software. Now let's see what this is all about...

Top Bottom