Mybb to Xenforo

Bala

Hi guys. I own a MyBB Forum at www.tweakbytes.com

MyBB has given me lot of headaches even though I am having a reasonable grasp on web technology.[HTML, CSS and a dashof PHP] The features stop working at times or at times upgrade goes horribly wrong. Yesterday was one of those days where I had the community down for sometime to fix the issues. It was a record half on hour work. Anyways leaving that aside, I have decided to switch to XF or IPB.

I know IPB costs 175$ but I am getting at 150$, a special discount lets say. So at the same price point I see that there is XenForo being offered so I thought lets take a look.

Now I have a few question guys.
1. Money is too tight for me ATM. I am in India and the Rs has fallen a lot against the dollar and the conversion rate and fees charged by the bank are very high. Any discount will be hugely appreciated.

2. I see there is no official converter from mybb to XF. I have heard we need to go to phpBB and then to XF. Will it be possible for you guys to assist me as I am no good at DB stuff.

3. I hear that I can use the XF software for lifetime and only paying for renewals to download new versions.
Will I be vulnerable to an attack if I skip a few version? Can I access the addons site even if my subscription has expired?

4. Is there built in ad management in XF? Or are there any free addons. Currently I am using HTML div tags to place my adverts, I wanted an easier way to monitor it.

I hope I have a smooth experience. Thanks XF for a beautiful software.

1.) No discounts currently or planned

2.) There's no official service however @Jake Bunce is a moderator on here though and has done plenty of conversions, he could get you a quote. You can also browse http://xenforo.com/community/forums/third-party-service-offers.42/ for other people who do it.

3.) They release security fixes for free, as for an "expired license" you should still be able to access the RM for resources I believe.

4.) There's some built in ad spots visual here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/visual-list-of-ad-locations.1383/
You can also check out this plugin, it's free: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-rotating-ads.292/

Hope you join XF :)

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply man. Russ as I said I am strapped for cash, can the XF community give me help when I hit a problem while conversion.
Converting is the major barrier sitting between me and XF. After the IPB discount, its easier for me to choose it as it has a converter for mybb.
I really want to use XenForo, but alas i need to cross this hurdle.

Thanks once more Russ

Hey, Thanks for the quick reply man. Russ as I said I am strapped for cash, can the XF community give me help when I hit a problem while conversion.
Converting is the major barrier sitting between me and XF. After the IPB discount, its easier for me to choose it as it has a converter for mybb.
I really want to use XenForo, but alas i need to cross this hurdle.

Thanks once more Russ

Go with XenForo! Once you get all the hassle of converting out of of the way, it's
Definiatly worth it! (y)

Thanks Matthew. You have any ideas sorting the issue out? I am very afraid to switch to XF due to this one major issue.
On a side note MathewHawley.net looks unique and great.

The community are hugely knowledgeable and supportive and you should be confident in the support that can be offered, which would reasonably help you through this import on your own. Spend some time looking around the forum to help you decide.

As is often the case there are also the paid options for the piece of mind and professional service.

Ashley

I said i was tight on funds. And would not paying half of XenForo+100$ to IPB be more of a better idea. Correct me if I am wrong. And FYI gconverter just charge 95$
You are just seeing the base price of IPB, you'll need to spend extra if you want the IP Content and other add-ons (I see you have a portal/home page with mybb, just putting that out there).

Also, in long terms XenForo saves you cost, it isn't a "resource" hog and and you wouldn't need to spend much on webhosting. Whereas I've heard IPB uses a lot of resources and in the end that'll make you spend more if you want a smooth running forum.

Apart from the financial aspect, if you are looking to get rid of "headache", XenForo is a much better choice.

Okay I see it. I am not critisicing Jake. Seems like Xen foro pro.

I suppose I need to pay extra for Xenforo resource manager too. But I have heard on IPB forums that IPB is fast, and on XF xf is fast.

IPB gave me a good response to presale question and a sweet deal so was leaning toward it. Also IPB has a direct converter.

Now some of the guys here have assured to help so I am just a teenie weenie hesitant to buy.

Just wanted to ask does anybody use Xenforo on Godaddy? I am on Godaddy hosting.

Top Bottom