CPU: Intel i5 (4 cores / 4 Threads)
Frequency: 3.1GHz(3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
Hard disk: 2 x 1TB SATA2
RAID: SOFT - 0/1 (RAID-1 by default)
Bandwidth: 100Mbps - 5 TB/month
Controlpanel: cPamel/WHM
CENTOS 6.4 x86_64

I will soon taking on members and I want to make my forum fast to load on phones.
So what serversetup are you on?

#1 - Dual Xeon L5520 with 36GB RAM and 2 1TB SATA in RAID 1 (software)
#2 - Dual Xeon L5520 with 24GB RAM and 2 1TB SATA in RAID 1 (software)
#3 - Dual Xeon L5639 with 48GB RAM and 2 2TB SATA in RAID 1 (software)
#3 - Dual Xeon L5639 with 24GB RAM and 2 128GB SSD in RAID 1 (software)

How many members and members who are online at the same time can I have on my forum before severn showing signs of being slow for the members and I need to upgrade. Photos and files from the members will be few in number?

[quote="
Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming, or what?"
[/quote]
(y)

Nothing wrong with that "server". The limiting factor ultimately is going to be the hard drives, but it should be fine until your site gets pretty busy.

Keep in mind also, that it is not server-grade equipment, ECC RAM, etc. It is basically a desktop computer in a rack-mount unit or such. Is it going to matter in the long-run? Probably not, but just something to keep in mind.

From a hardware perspective, you have about an order of magnitude more than you need if you are just starting out. A good quality VPS with about 1 GB of RAM can easily handle a xenForo board that is just getting started. With good speed, too. That said, your setup should allow you to handle tons of traffic without blinking an eye. I would expect to be able to handle well over 1000 concurrent users with that hardware.

Top Bottom