XF 2.0 My forum becomes dead slow after new posts

Dnyan

From upgrade to RC1, i observed when i make thread and add tags to it, somehow its making multiple post of same thread. 2 or up to 4 same thread after clicking post.

And forum is going dead slow after new post.

I did not made changes or added any addon to it.

May i know is it bug or simething else which i look for.

but it made everything slow down when a new thread are posted specially with attachment.

Now i am getting 502 and 504 errors.

Earlier beta version was smooth and fast.

There really wouldn't have been any changes here between the last beta and the RC.

You likely need to look at outside influences and general server checks (higher traffic, other things happening on the server, etc).

I use default style and no add-ons.
Nor made any change other than installing RC1.

I had such problem some time back with questionthread addon, he updated it and then i reinstall and uninstall the addon.

That time proble got solved but now again problem pop up

I checked my server it shows php-fpm max children limit reached.

I restarted php-fpm
Rebooted server

rebuild all caches in ACP.

Now forum is back

One question i have, do i need to restart the hosting server frequently - please answer.

If some one do ddos attack or something, is it shows increase in user in online members.

I see lot of proximic robots on my site - is they harmful or type of attack.

I keep on getting almost daily for addon which i uninstalled - server error log and it shows some extra.less which points to some ccs code which does not exist in any template (the developer of addon told me, this has no issue and will be suppressed in new release of forum software, i was expecting it in RC1)

Thank You in advance.
Please help me to find out whats wrong, now there is so far no problem after restarting server and doing all above but dont know it will cause any in future.

Are you on a VPS/Dedi or shared hosting?
If VPS/Dedi log via SSH and sudo netstat -anp | grep :80 | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l if running HTTP site, sudo netstat -anp | grep :443 | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l if running HTTPS. This will give you the total number of connections to the appropriate port.
This will give the total number of connections per IP that are hitting your server sudo netstat -tn 2>/dev/null | grep :80 | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head.

If you don't need to use sudo (you should never be logging in directly as root so you really should be using it) then you can drop that from the command line.
It's not abnormal to see the PHP issue when under a DDOS attack - one of the more popular that is used is the WP pingback attack. That should also be able to be found by reviewing your HTTP server logs.

I dont know what is causing it but processes running goes up with increasing maximum childs. And cpu usage also goes up.

I was running php 7.0.17 now i downgraded to 5.36.2

I also found some wrong attempt to login and db connection via chinese ip i blocked it in acp.

Now again site working fast, also i observed when i disable board it was working fast as soon as enable within few minute it was going slow.

Now everything look ok but dont know what will happen further.

I am not a coder so cant understand much in it.

One question i have please answer it.
How i will come to know when i get attacked like ddos or something spammy who makes site slow or dead.

Now its default 16

Dont know what was causing problem
Downgraded php to 5.36.2
Ban ip which showed in website log at sever

Now no problem and again traffic is increasing, it was gone down from last few days

I checked my CSF firewall log it shows all fail attempts from all over world, is it really ddos and i should consider to get cloudflare protecttion

Code:
Failed SSH login from 118.89.142.148 (CN/China/-): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SSHD]
Nov 11 09:41:07 ****** lfd[18602]: 151.80.40.90 (FR/France/ns3556926.ip-151-80-40.eu), 5 distributed sshd attacks on account [test] in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_DISTATTACK]
Nov 11 09:45:07 ****** lfd[18661]: 194.24.228.93 (FR/France/srv6.cineteck.net), 5 distributed sshd attacks on account [root] in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_DISTATTACK]
Nov 11 09:45:07 ****** lfd[18661]: 217.86.238.225 (DE/Germany/pd956eee1.dip0.t-ipconnect.de), 5 distributed sshd attacks on account [root] in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_DISTATTACK]
Nov 11 09:45:47 ****** lfd[18717]: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 200.27.240.219 (CL/Chile/-): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SSHD]
Nov 11 09:47:07 ****** lfd[18750]: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 61.164.37.69 (CN/China/-): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SSHD]
Nov 11 09:56:26 ****** lfd[18961]: *SSH login* from 49.35.20.181 into the root account using password authentication
Nov 11 09:58:47 ****** lfd[24070]: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 212.48.87.76 (GB/United Kingdom/019949.vps-10.com): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SSHD]
Nov 11 10:07:47 ****** lfd[6257]: (sshd) Failed SSH login from 138.197.107.28 (US/United States/-): 5 in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_SSHD]
Nov 11 10:16:47 ****** lfd[18880]: 188.165.228.197 (FR/France/ns340441.ip-188-165-228.eu), 5 distributed sshd attacks on account [civil4m] in the last 3600 secs - *Blocked in csf* [LF_DISTATTACK]

Please confirm me what it is

I checked my CSF firewall log it shows all fail attempts from all over world, is it really ddos and i should consider to get cloudflare protecttion
Those aren't really DDOS attacks per se... although depending on the number of connections it could overload your system, but they would have nothing to do with the PHP child issues.
The logs you need to look in for that are typically your HTTP server logs. Normally those logs will be in the /var/log location if you use a standard install of the HTTP server.
For the WP pingback attack you would look for something like
Code:
“GET /index.php HTTP/1.0″ 200 “-” “WordPress/3.9.2; http://www.x.x; verifying pingback from 69.30.x.x” “-“
in the log. The IP on the end will change... but the /GET /index.php portion (and WordPress/) won't change. The WordPress versions may also show different. You can do a simple grep on the log files to find any WordPress/ lines in it.

Thanks For reply
I am only Using xF2
Now there is no load on server nor php-fpm max children error.
Still site is loading slow.

I am not able to understand why its happening.

Sorry for disturbing all

That f**king problem was cause by hosting, they had connectivity issue.
After contacting them they fixed it immediately and now on RC1 my site loads like super sonic more faster.

Once again sorry for disturbing all and I love much more to xF2 and team for making this available for me.

Due to problem and increasing popularity i thought i might be under attack or RC1 had bug.

Top Bottom