my first smart phone

I'm sure... ;)

Screenshot_2015-06-30-12-22-23.webp

Superior battery life, and I don't see myself needing the freedom or better hardware of an android. I will only be doing basic stuff on it... calls, text, gps, and a couple games.

I think the Apple staff brainwashed you on that one. Battery life is laughable compared to similar price Android devices.

It's easier to make a statement when they only have 2 models that comes out like they are saying it has better battery life than every single android phone. Generally people who quote great battery life with a device aren't a normal or actual heavy user. Not many phones will post 8 hours of screen on time with heavy CPU or data usage and most that do have large batteries.

Personally I got my Nexus 5 for the freedom. But its considered terrible on battery life. But when I first got it I made it through a 16 hour day without hitting the charger clocking a moderate 3.5 hours of screen on with high brightness. Other users get 6 hours screen on time but probably tweaked to hell and lower brightness. Hard to keep it on 16 hours using it as a modem though.

I believe any device that can get YOU through YOUR 16 hour day has great battery life. Most but not all can get to a charger by then. I do miss the 48 hour standby I had on my Galaxy S2 though.

As @Slavik said.. you start doing much on it, then it's going to suck down data. Also, be aware that if you have programs (Apps) that pull in data, when the phone goes to "sleep" (screen locked) it - if I remember correctly - quits pulling data over the wifi (since it powers that off) and reverts to cellular data.
Since you are on Verizon - set up an alert for when you get around 80% data use. You will get a text about it and can then call and have them bump up your plan before you get charged overage fees.

You wouldn't know if it's true unlimited because 125gb usage and 1000gb fair usage is a big difference
Yes.. because here in the states, if it's not unlimited you would have been throttled to the point of nothing at that amount. Not to mention, since I'm on Verizon and use LTE strictly they had to agree to no throttling (there is one exception but it has to do with tower capacity and I don't normally go where that would apply) to get the licenses for the bandwidth they wanted.

To top it off... AT&T just got slapped for their throttling of their AT&T users on unlimited (their method of forcing you to go to their new plans).

Try the sony xperia with stamina mode, I literally go a week to a week and a half without charging (and thats the compact version with the smaller battery).

My Z3 Compact lasts me 3 days on average (I'm not a heavy user though, but it's probably the most battery-friendly smartphone on the market right now).

My other phone (a One M8) never made it more than 2 days at basically the same usage pattern, so there is a noticeable difference.

The weaker battery of the Compact is compensated by the less hungry 720p display (which is more than enough resolution at 4.6 inches). The Z3 compact should actually do better than the big Z3, unless you're in standby all the time with literally zero display-on time.

It's easier to make a statement when they only have 2 models that comes out like they are saying it has better battery life than every single android phone. Generally people who quote great battery life with a device aren't a normal or actual heavy user. Not many phones will post 8 hours of screen on time with heavy CPU or data usage and most that do have large batteries.
Some can do 10+ hours of constant video playback / browsing in certain testing scenarios, but yeah, most don't last longer than 7-10 hours display-on time.

Looking at the tests on gsmarena for example, the differences in battery lifetime aren't that big. The major differences come from the usage patterns. For example, I have location, bluetooth and other non-essential services off most of the time, simply because I don't need them. Instead of a battery-sucking google now, I prefer Nova Launcher with a couple of widgets. I also prefer Wifi over mobile data whenever possible (at home, at work), because it's more battery-friendly and even faster in most cases.

With a few very rare exceptions, battery-lifetime shouldn't be a purchase decision thing. Fact is, if one is a heavy user, he'll have to charge daily, regardless of phone. If not, it can last 2 or even 3 days.

Some can do 10+ hours of constant video playback / browsing in certain testing scenarios, but yeah, most don't last longer than 7-10 hours display-on time.

I don't keep up anymore but circle back to the old RAZR MAXX, yes it could do 16 hours of screen on time but with HD streaming in play it only lasted 11 to 12 hours and thats a 3300 mah battery, thats the exception. I was more about 1800 to 2300 mah phones with something other than just the screen going. 6 hours would seem normal to me, maybe 8.

The RAZR MAXX was (and is) a great phone for battery life. I still have 2 of them in my "old phone box" along with the 1 of the updated version of it.

I tend to use Tasker profiles to minimize my battery life drain where possible. It might be marginal but it seems to work OK (and it's automated -yippee!).
  • Profiles to disable wifi unless at home or work (checks via cell towers) - re-enable wifi once every hour if disabled to check if any free wifi spots are available
  • Profiles to enable BT when I leave my wifi network (i'll be on my way out). If BT doesn't connect to a receiver within 5 minutes of being enabled then it's disabled again
  • When connected to my car BT, disable WiFi (no wifi when I'm driving)
Seems to help a little.

As much as one despises iCloud, one should use it to take advantage of the "Find my iPhone" functionality in the event it gets stolen.

That and the fact it seamlessly backs up everything on your phone for you. Not only good in case you lose your phone, but also if you ever need to get it replaced under warranty. It's nice to get a new phone and have it returned to the exact state your previous one was (including little things like missed calls).

My first experience in an Apple store was when I went there to buy my niece a case for her iPad. As I walked in, there was a guy wearing a polo shirt, he gave me the look with a polite smile, so I walked over and asked him where the iPad cases were, he paused for a second, then said "I think they're over here" and he lead me around half the store before finally showing me the case display. I said "OK, thanks mate". He walked off, I stood there for a while, finally chose a case, then went and joined the queue to pay. While waiting in line, I started to look around, as you do, and then I saw the guy that showed me to the case display, he was standing in another queue with his friends, waiting to pay.

Turns out, he didn't even work there lol

Top Bottom