My feedback after playing with xf 1.1 for some hours

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

1)
i've tried to get used to the new title field, but i can't:(
I miss the "title" label and i miss the Form Consistency.
We have now Fields with placeholders, we have Fields with label tags AND placeholders and fields with only label tags.
But ok, that's not really a problem and can be changed in custom styles.

2)
I like the useful searches, but i miss "today's posts".

2.1)
"Your Profile Posts" returns only my Status Updates and Posts i've made on other Profiles, but it doesn't include the comments:(
(The same is happening with the general profile post search, the comments aren't searchable :( )

3)
The new search result page is fantastic! Thx very much for implementing our suggestion with the content types.

4)
It's also fantastic, that the profile posts are searchable now(but see point 2.1 ). I hope the profile fields will be searchable too, BUT then we're getting the next area with an tabs problem :(
The tabs are now bigger as in 1.0.x AND we got at least 1 new tab (for profile posts and because i hope that the profile fields are searchable too, this could be probably also a tab, then we have 3/4 tabs without any add-on)
With add-ons it could probably look like
autsch.webp
Isn't very nice IMO :(

5)
Ignore System
I agree with floris here, so i'll quote him:
For me ignore means: I want to completely make this user disappear from the site. I don't care about this person. I don't want to see like from them, get messages, profile message, public message, private messages, or other notifications. I don't care they're the last person to post, or the first. Or have a post somewhere in the middle. As far as I am concerned once on the ignore list they are not a member on the site.

This ignore feature, is a good step in that direction and it's better than in the 1.0 version. So thumbs up.

I thought it's buggy, because i have 1 person on the list and as i went into a thread to read the newest post, i saw the complete post from the ignored person. That's a horror!

But: We have at least now the basics, let's see what will come in the future (and what will come from the add-on dev community)
I have already some plans for some javascript features, too hide the quotes and other things too

All in all, congratulation to the next big step!

personally I think the ignore feature should have a user setting where he/she can decide if they want to see markers in place of where the text would be (as is the case now) or remove them completely.

I can actually see the advantage from an admin point of view in showing where the post would have been. Otherwise I can see people saying "I seem to be missing some posts" etc when its people they are ignoring, simply because they cannot see its because the posts are from someone they are ignoring. At least this way they dont see the comments, but can see why.

1)
i've tried to get used to the new title field, but i can't:(
I miss the "title" label and i miss the Form Consistency.

I wasn't sure what you meant but having tried "Post new thread" I see what you mean. Without a clear Title: label I can guarantee that some members will start typing a message in that title field or otherwise be unsure what it is.

On my forum many of my members are attracted by the subject matter and may have little or no experience with forums. Some didn't even know what a "forum" was. Obviously until 1.1 fully rolls out we won't know if this is final, but if it is, I'll be straight in there with a template edit to stick Title: back :)

So far its not that great that I was expecting to be.. so just waiting until 1.1 fully rolls out here.

I wasn't sure what you meant but having tried "Post new thread" I see what you mean. Without a clear Title: label I can guarantee that some members will start typing a message in that title field or otherwise be unsure what it is.

On my forum many of my members are attracted by the subject matter and may have little or no experience with forums. Some didn't even know what a "forum" was. Obviously until 1.1 fully rolls out we won't know if this is final, but if it is, I'll be straight in there with a template edit to stick Title: back :)

the "focus" (blinking cursor) is unfortunately in the title-box, therefore you can not see the label for the title-box immediately.

Hmmm, well there's minimal ... and then there's hidden/confusing!!

I think at the very least it needs a "Thread title: " label putting next to it.

Top Bottom