Must have when starting.

mikelowrey

Guys,

What are the "MUST HAVE" things when starting your XenForo?

If we can make this thread big it would be nice since it will definitely help a bunch of starters such as myself... Thanks!

I think a lot of the "must have's" are really determined by the niche though.

Some add-ons just WON'T work on certain sites, no matter how creative you get with them....

A plan.

Sod the addons, custom design, terms, rules, moderators, masses of empty forums, etc. You need a GOOD plan to build your forum, otherwise it'll sit and remain like about 80% of forums. Empty. Work out how you're going to get your first 100 members, and when I say work out I don't mean go "oh its fine, I'll make a few posts on twitter and facebook and add links to my signature" - it really doesn't work. Plan out how you're going to build your community, this is your first and for a good few months, your only priority to begin with IMO, as it's pointless spending hours screwing around with addons and rules only for your forum to sit dead and empty for the next 12 months.

A plan.

Sod the addons, custom design, terms, rules, moderators, masses of empty forums, etc. You need a GOOD plan to build your forum, otherwise it'll sit and remain like about 80% of forums. Empty. Work out how you're going to get your first 100 members, and when I say work out I don't mean go "oh its fine, I'll make a few posts on twitter and facebook and add links to my signature" - it really doesn't work. Plan out how you're going to build your community, this is your first and for a good few months, your only priority to begin with IMO, as it's pointless spending hours screwing around with addons and rules only for your forum to sit dead and empty for the next 12 months.

@RickM, This is some excellent advice, thank you!

Since you mention all this, do you guys create like manuals for MODs to learn and things like that?

I think a lot of the "must have's" are really determined by the niche though.

Some add-ons just WON'T work on certain sites, no matter how creative you get with them....

@Sheldon good point, but what about the basics? I know XenForo already comes with everything you need to start, but what would be basic addons for you?

So, generally speaking, what is the best initial strategy to get the first batch of members/visitors once a forum is all readied & launched?

Top Bottom