Music Addon Pitch - Ideas Welcome

btmgreg

Following on from this thread created by @Mythotical - https://xenforo.com/community/threads/taking-requests-for-free-add-on-development.187649

Unfortunately, Mythotical had to pull out from the project and other projects I believe due to time constraints. His model was a great idea, and I'm hoping to see if anyone here is interested in following the same idea or something similar. I want to say thank you again to Mythotical for giving me the time and room to share my ideas in the first place and I completely respect his direction.

Before anyone asks - No I'm not just looking for something free, that obviously helps - but I genuinely believe that this addon idea could and would be beneficial to other communities, and given the correct functionality - could transform the fan-forum industry in terms of music artistry in a great way.

Some potential ideas on how this would work -
  1. Addon developed by you, addon sold on resources and a certain percentage shared?
  2. Addon developed by you, addon sold on resources - 100% of the sales go to you?
  3. Addon developed by you, addon sold on resources - 100% of sales up to a certain cap, or for a period of time goes to you?
Of course, in the event this was to be developed, I'd get a licence for myself for project managing, testing and coming up with the ideas.

(I'm not a businessman. This much is obvious to all.. So please go kindly on me. But I'm open to ideas)

Discography Addon XenForo

Part 1 – A Music Discography Index

An addon that collects all relevant details for music releases from existing open-sourced databases/APIs and aggregates the data into a pleasing and structured catalogue.

List of online music databases - Wikipedia

There are some great resources, including –

• MusicBrainz
  • Discogs
  • AllMusic
  • Last.fm

The content types/elements would be –

Albums –
Album pages would list the needed information regarding that album. Date of release, full title, formats available, length. Label. Sales figures – Any information available to source/scape/extract.

Singles – Single pages would comprise of the tracklisting for the specific single, length of tracks, formats available, lyrics, writers and producers – technical info for the specific track. Relatable information.

Tracks – Much the same as above. Not all tracks belong to a single or an album – which is why this specific element/type/whatever is needed. It would still include relatable information, including lyrics for said track.

Desired

I’m looking for an immersive experience. Visuals and content are important. Integration with social media and Spotify would be fantastic. I’m full of ideas – I’ve wanted to see something like this for years. Something that truly shows off an artist and their back catalogue. Stunning imagery along with great content placement would be a dream.

The ability to not only pull information from the open databases, but also the ability to manually add these sets of information should there be a unique circumstance.

I guess the above would be 'types' - utilising the tag system would also be cool giving users the ability to further filter down their options. Having a 4th / further misc type would allow for other items that don't quite fit into the specific formats to be added. Just an idea.

Part 2 – A Collectors ‘Corner’

Biggest inspiration https://www.joomlathat.com/music-collection

Utilising the base of everything described above – it would be great to allow fans/members to add releases to their own virtual collection, which would be displayed on their respective profile.

There is a huge collector scene out there for most music artists where there are multiple different formats/releases/editions available for a particular album or single which are highly sort after. It would be great to extract all of these releases for a particular artist and index them within the above described ‘catalogue database’ – and allow fans to browse over this content, and add them to their virtual collections, or favourite/bookmark the items for a later look.

** Many years ago, I had someone build a basic version of this that interacted with Discogs and it worked on Joomla and was integrated/mashed with an addon called Music Collection. See pictures below of the layout used for that addon (again, this is built for Jooma) **

1607643907877.png

1607643928310.png

1607643960363.png

It's quite an ambitious project - but I feel this would be heavily used by others - it would truly be awesome! I'm pretty sure if anyone is interested - I'd be up for any project management tasks shot my way.

Permissions -

Set by usergroup

• Viewing selected elements/pages
  • Editing selected elements/pages/information
  • Ability to add elements/pages/information
  • Ability to add to the virtual collection
  • Ability to moderate reviews/comments should that be included
  • Ability to display collection / added media/discography to the members' profile

Message me directly if you want to talk more, or over discord or something.

Contact Methods ( Discord - Greg#5995 / Email - greg@behind-the-mask.net )

I remember @beerForo, @tajhay, @Oblivion Knight and @Mangini being interested in the post I pitched prior.

Let me know what you think :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I mean, the scope is endless with this.. I envisage it as a "Showcase" type add-on, an extension of @Snog's / @Ozzy47's "Thread Starter" add-ons if you will.. Not just for audio, but almost any kind of media. The more APIs you can connect with (for automatic data insertion), the better - but even manual data entry would be a start!

I'd also quite like to see an "I own this" button, where users can declare they own an item of media - and people's collections can be viewed.

I mean, the scope is endless with this.. I envisage it as a "Showcase" type add-on, an extension of @Snog's / @Ozzy47's "Thread Starter" add-ons if you will.. Not just for audio, but almost any kind of media. The more APIs you can connect with (for automatic data insertion), the better - but even manual data entry would be a start!

I'd also quite like to see an "I own this" button, where users can declare they own an item of media - and people's collections can be viewed.

Indeed. A show-case type addon. I've been looking into showcase quite a lot, and wasn't sure if it's something that could be modified or just easier to build from the ground up. @Bob maybe could shed more light in that aspect. Exactly that - any kind of media. There is so much rich history in the media scene. For those die hard fans, this would be awesome. (I don't mean Die Hard with Bruce Willis. Or do I? :sneaky:)

Yes. 'I own this' would be essential. Something like that in order to add and manage the 'virtual collection', if you will.

Thanks for your input Oblivion!

No offense, but no developer would touch such a project in a million years. This is like "I have a great idea for an app. I just need to find the developer who develops this for me, and we can share the profit (development costs would be tens of thousands)". Like what? The dev can just develop anything for himself, why would he need to share it with you? He puts his skills and time into it, what are you putting? The only way this works is that you pay someone to do the job, nobody will work for free for such a big thing. I am saying this by owning a forum which deals with music.

If you don't have the money, the only option for you is to modify existing addons into a similar thing. That's what we all do.

No offense, but no developer would touch such a project in a million years. This is like "I have a great idea for an app. I just need to find the developer who develops this for me, and we can share the profit (development costs would be tens of thousands)". Like what? The dev can just develop anything for himself, why would he need to share it with you? He puts his skills and time into it, what are you putting? The only way this works is that you pay someone to do the job, nobody will work for free for such a big thing. I am saying this by owning a forum which deals with music.

If you don't have the money, the only option for you is to modify existing addons into a similar thing. That's what we all do.
Thanks for your opinion.

Wondering if this will work for you!

Or even this one:

And that might work with Article/Preview mode for squares.

You could sort the node by alphabetical by default.

Wondering if this will work for you!
I'd imagine if I went with the showcase addon, this would be a great bet.

The only two (that I can remember at this time) factors missing, would be

1) The ability to pull extensive track information from those external sources
2) The ability for members to click on 'I own this media', and thus having a virtual collection where they'd have their own tab of items they own.

Thank you by the way @beerForo

Top Bottom