1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Servers

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by JamesBrown, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

I am moving from one dedicated linux server to another. Can anyone point me to an idiots guide to doing this with the minimum downtime to my forum.

I figure making the domain on the new server, installing a fresh copy of all the forum files into it (the new server has a different file structure httpdocs, instead of htdocs so paths will be wrong, will this break stuff?

Making a new database on the new server with the same name as my current then restoring a backup of the live database over it.

Change the nameservers and see if anything breaks, is that about it?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget to copy across the /data and /internal_data directories as they contain the avatars and attachments.
    JamesBrown likes this.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to do a new install. Basically you copy over the files and database, and then edit the library/config.php file to point to the database on the new server. The paths don't matter.
    JamesBrown likes this.