XF 1.2 Moving from one host to GoDaddy

Yes. Don't do it. Virtually anyone is better than GoDaddy as a hosting company.

Yeap, any "budget" host such as Go Daddy, Host Gator etc your going to run into issue. Even if you get your site to run somewhat smooth on them, your next going to start hearing how you are using too much resources and be required to upgrade your account to a unadvertised, higher cost package.

I've setup probably 20+ sites on Godaddy for other people. EVERYONE ends up moving shortly after. Things never run right when it comes to sql and php. It's a mess. IF asked which hosts I would recommend, I can give you many. If asked which ones to stay away from, GoDaddy is at the top of my list. I would still recommend them for domains, but as a host - no way. That being said, good luck to you if you decide to forge ahead with that idea. You're going to need it.

Yeap, any "budget" host such as Go Daddy, Host Gator etc your going to run into issue. Even if you get your site to run somewhat smooth on them, your next going to start hearing how you are using too much resources and be required to upgrade your account to a unadvertised, higher cost package.

Not true...

Hosting with hostgator for 3 years now...one server at one point, 42 sites, 5 or 6 peoples xf installs, live streaming, ffmpeg conversions ect ect... never got told once to upgrade anything.

Anyways...while we are all trying to give the guy good advice, remember his question is not about which host to choose, it is about how to move the site off of one host to another.

Last edited:
Not true...

Hosting with hostgator for 3 years now...one server at one point 42, sites, 5 or 6 peoples xf installs, live streaming, ffmpeg conversions ect ect... never got told once to upgrade anything.

Anyways...while we are all trying to give the guy good advice, remember his question is not about which host to choose, it is about how to move the site off of one host to another.

And since that question has been answered twice, I think we'd be remiss if we didn't warn a fellow XF admin of potential pitfalls he might encounter if he proceeds in his current plan. I understand what you're saying though and I agree with you on Hostgator. I use them myself.

And since that question has been answered twice, I think we'd be remiss if we didn't warn a fellow XF admin of potential pitfalls he might encounter if he proceeds in his current plan. I understand what you're saying though and I agree with you on Hostgator. I use them myself.

Right and I understand the sentiment completely, but as you see, I can attest that some info in this thread wasn't true and because of that, out of respect for the people who house my server I had to clarify, if everyone started saying this is bad that is bad there will be more and more people arguing about who's got the nicest racks (that came out so wrong) and less about the actual question which spawned this thread.

However...I agree, if you are seriously running a site...that godaddy is not the host to use. They are fine for domain names and such, but I have tried them as well (because people said they sucked) and I stopped using it after a couple of weeks and let it expire simply because things ran horrendously on it, and I was literally only using it to screw around with stuff I didn't care about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom