Moving a gaming community from vB4.2.2 to XF.

Holmes

Hello

I am working as a community manager within a gaming community running vB 4.2.2. Over the years we have found that vB 4 is slowly but surely decaying, with no further development being done on it. Today I received a newletter from The Admin Zone, showing me how many other vB 4 users are switching to XF, and decided perhaps I should look into this as well.

In order to do this I need to firs make sure that Xenforo has the capabilities and features to ensure that the changes coming to this community aren't too drastic.
The current community numbers are as follows: Threads 512,009 Posts 3,888,002 Members 173,409 Active Members 1,447

• First thing I want to touch base on, is the migration system.
With 500k threads spread over 200 sub forums, I need to ensure that threads that were previously private do not end up in the public audience. The forum doesn't contain personal data per se, but this content is deemed as private by the users posting it, as they are gamers and they take this somewhat seriously.​
What does the script import, and what does it not import? Is there somewhere where I can see this in a bit more detail?​
  • Next thing would be customisation of usernames and profiles.
Personally, I would be over the moon and back around if this would not be an issue, but alas it is, and I have to deal with it. This community caters to mature members as well as teenage members. They have different tastes in how they handle their profiles, and we give them the option to choose.​
In vBulletin we used the additional.css template to give us a bit more flexibility when it comes to username markup. For example, the pillars of the community would use the following markup on their username:​
CSS:
.guardian {
    color: #66ffcc;
    font-weight: 700;
    text-shadow: 0px 0px 1px #005500;
    -webkit-animation: shadowswap 1s infinite alternate;
    -moz-animation: shadowswap 1s infinite alternate;
    animation: shadowswap 1s infinite alternate;
}
@-webkit-keyframes shadowswap{
    from {text-shadow: 0px 0px 1px #005500;}
    to {text-shadow : 0px 0px 5px #33ff00;}
}
@-moz-keyframes shadowswap{
}
@keyframes shadowswap{
}
Is there something similar available in xenforo?​
Another feature we introduced in our community would be individual postbit backgrounds: https://puu.sh/z2Clb.png
I would personally not be sad to see them go, but the community will whinge, and I'm sure you understand how important it is to keep the users happy.​
  • Final point for this thread would be plugins/mods/hacks/addons. Whatever you want to call them.
There are several plugins that are basically a requirement for this community.​
  1. Chatbox
  2. Top 10 members
  3. A form plugin, where administrators can create a questionnaire and members fill it up. It has various uses, from events to private help requests.
  4. Force users to read a thread.
  5. Usergroup mention system (which I am not sure if it comes standard within XF)

I've tried the XF demo, but as I am not completely familiar with the styles and templates, I figured I'd ask the question before breaking my own demo forum. ;)
Thank you in advance for any help.

-H

Hey mate,

I don't think you will have any issue regarding the import. I've imported all my forums to xf from vb and never had an issue with private forums going public. You can add an extra layer of security to this by simply keeping the forum closed until you do a double-check that everything is as it should be, so you should be 100% fine with this.

Customization the way you describe it, is very similar in xf, you simply use the extra.css template. I assume the same would be the case for the postbits, though you may need an add-on if it's a custom postbit per member.

Regarding the addons, I know there are addons in xf for chatbox, top members and force users to read a thread.

Regarding a form plugin I'm not sure one exists that does exactly what you describe.

Not sure what usergroup mention system is???

:)

That's good to hear.

The mention system is also called tagging. @Username but in this case it would be tagging a whole usergroup.

It's a relief to know that extra.css works similar to additional. That's gonna save me a lot of issues.
Thanks for the information.

Edit: Extra question
https://xenforo.com/purchase/
Can the extra packages be purchased at a later date as addons?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, tagging an entire usergroup? I haven't seen something like that here. But XF has a mass alert system in the backend where you can send an alert to all the required users you want (and there is a usergroup selection filter). So you would end up with the same result, an alert to all that usergroup's members (which could contain a link to a thread etc)

Last edited:
As I'm playing with the permissions in the demo forum, I can't seem to find a way to replicate forum(or node) permission in a quick manner.

My forum has somewhat like 30 usergroups with 200 sections, and quite a few of them have different permission settings. Is there a quick way to set forum permissions?

As I'm playing with the permissions in the demo forum, I can't seem to find a way to replicate forum(or node) permission in a quick manner.

My forum has somewhat like 30 usergroups with 200 sections, and quite a few of them have different permission settings. Is there a quick way to set forum permissions?

Yes there is. In the XF2 admin panel go to forums > nodes > from there you can set permissions for any node you'd like.

Also for a chatbox I recommend chat box by siropu. It's feature rich and easy to place on any page. It's definitely the best chat made so far I have found. I use it myself.

Permissions work differently in xenforo, and they are much more effective if you use them properly. This guide might help you out:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/
I'll read that guide once I get full access. Seems it's for customers only. Thanks.
Yes there is. In the XF2 admin panel go to forums > nodes > from there you can set permissions for any node you'd like.

Also for a chatbox I recommend chat box by siropu. It's feature rich and easy to place on any page. It's definitely the best chat made so far I have found. I use it myself.

I meant more like mass duplication. Select x amount of forums and copy the permissions from one forum and apply to all of the selected ones.
https://puu.sh/z2Ju9.png

I'll read that guide once I get full access. Seems it's for customers only. Thanks.

I meant more like mass duplication. Select x amount of forums and copy the permissions from one forum and apply to all of the selected ones.
https://puu.sh/z2Ju9.png

I'm not familiar with any feature like that though I haven't checked extra hard to find out if there is one as I've never required it. If it's especially needed there's a huge community of add-on creators here that would be willing to help you. Though personally the only node permissions I've ever edited are for viewing the forum or not being able to post which is why I don't require mass updating them like that. Though I haven't seen the feature myself

However, I'd like to add you can easily make any node private by selecting the checkbox in node permissions. This would save the hassle of having to give each usergroup the permission of not being able to view a forum or post in one. You simply check the box and click save. Then the only way a user can access it is if you give a usergroup explicit permissions to.

Hello, I'm back with one more question.
As I'm not exactly the SQL expert and our database manager is on vacation at this time.
When importing from vB 4.x using the inbuilt import tool, what would the MySQL table prefix and Force character set refer to? How would I find these?

Top Bottom