Movie: The Fighter

TheLaw

I saw this one recently. I'm curious to hear people's opinions. I'm finding it hard to believe it was nominated for so many awards.

The Fighter isn't a bad film. I just thought that it felt like your slightly better than average made for cable movie that didn't quite ring true all the time and with characters you didn't care much about at all. The story was typical, predictable, slow and had been done so many times before and with films that had so much more to say. Raging Bull and Rocky are two that come instantly to mind. To think this could even be nominated for a Best Picture award is incredibly surprising.

The boxing scenes (and the "strategy") were few and so horribly poor that I was surprised that no boxing consultant stepped in to change them. It was actually funny to watch the fighters wail on each other like little kids in the 8th round and see Wahlberg without any visible facial swelling after taking a beating to the face that could have put down Mr. T. Bale's character was easily the most fun to play and he does an excellent job. But I thought Wahlberg's character was practically comatose and you learned nothing about him the entire film. He exhibited no signs whatsoever that there was a fighter with the heart of a lion and a champion - heck, I could barely remember his name although I did remember Dicky, Bale's character. The "televised" parts of the fight were so awkward and out of place and half done - just like parts of the movie. And at the end, I wasn't sure what this film was supposed to be. I sure didn't get the sense that Micky Ward went from nobody to a well oiled machine at any point. And when it ended... well... the entire last quarter of the film felt very passive

In an age of horribly bad Hollywood films this looks like a gem and the IMDB Top 250 movie list has become worthless. I'm hoping to see the Black Swan and the King's Speech, both of which I heard are excellent. I did see True Grit, which was a much better movie than this one although not nearly my favorite Coen Brothers flick...

Hasn't opened in Australia yet as we don't like them fancy new fillums when we can have ones that are six months old.

Miko - what's funny is that when I think about it, I'd describe The Fighter as a drug addicted former local boxing legend deals with his failed career due to drug addiction and his disruptive behavior that is intruding into the potential boxing success of his younger brother. I would have considered Wahlberg's character as supporting!

My bad, The Fighter has opened in Australia, just not in my local multi-screen-bogan-palace where it might take screens from the far more important Yogi Bear and the like. That's it I have to move elsewhere!

Miko I take it you will be all over Snowtown when it's released later this year?

I disagree with the comments about the film being bad, completely. I goggled before I watched the movie for information about the real characters. But getting stuck with the idea it doesn't project the real life characters often fails people. When you look at the movie you see a well-executed, written movie with solid performances. I agree to the fight scenes were Mark
Wahlberg's face after a lot of punching looks almost the same 10 rounds ago :) That maybe would be something that the filmmakers should work on.

After watching Rocky and a bunch of other boxing movies all projected on the fights, sweat and blood, I could accept The Fighter lot faster than the others. The drama, joy and other elements are balanced and you don't get bored.

I watched it few days back and I loved it. Never loses its edge, great story. Christian Bale's performance was stunning. Happy to see his A-Game since the Mechanist. I personally recommend it for those who haven't watched it.

I thought it was a complete pile of dung...

Regardless of who the 2 main stars were or the fact that they tried to stick to the truth as much as possible...

It was still a pile of pooooooooo.. IMHO.

Regards..

Miko I take it you will be all over Snowtown when it's released later this year?

Haven't heard much more than little info about it since it was announced, but I hope is going to be good and will definitely watch it as soon as it's out ;)

I disagree with the comments about the film being bad, completely. I goggled before I watched the movie for information about the real characters. But getting stuck with the idea it doesn't project the real life characters often fails people. When you look at the movie you see a well-executed, written movie with solid performances.
It wasn't bad - it was just "ok" and nowhere near academy award winning or the 8.3 and #243 best movie of all time on the IMDB. The script was poor. We got to know nothing at all about the family background at all. Every character was a hollow shell. We don't even know what drove Dickey into drugs, the reasons for Micky's divorce and acrimonious relationship with his ex-wife nor how he ended up with 9 sisters who live at home. It was almost like a made for a one hour TV show.

After watching Rocky and a bunch of other boxing movies all projected on the fights, sweat and blood, I could accept The Fighter lot faster than the others. The drama, joy and other elements are balanced and you don't get bored.
Funny... I was bored silly half the time. Rocky, as much as I'm not into that type of film, had much character analysis, background - you got to know Rocky, his family and what the man was about. The fights weren't a single staged slomo scene where you saw a result and no action. For a movie called "the fighter" there was almost no fighting - except between family members!

I watched it few days back and I loved it. Never loses its edge, great story. Christian Bale's performance was stunning. Happy to see his A-Game since the Mechanist. I personally recommend it for those who haven't watched it.
You mean the Machinist - yes, that's an interesting film. Far, far better than this one. Good recommendation. Creepy.

Haven't heard much more than little info about it since it was announced, but I hope is going to be good and will definitely watch it as soon as it's out ;)

Fingers crossed I'm in a major city when it's released :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah its alright (not good,not bad) I know I am not watching that movie again
confused.png

I disagree with the comments about the film being bad, completely.

I never said that the move was bad completely... Just not a masterpiece or not in my top list of movies.
I won't be watching it again for a very long time.
Having said that, I enjoyed when I watched and glad that I didn't had to pay for it.

Fingers crossed I'm in a major city when it's released :)

Do you know when is supposedly meant to be released?

Top Bottom