Cannot reproduce Moved post thread notifications get prefix of old thread

Mr Lucky

Affected version
I'm inclined to assume this is a bug as opposed to an undocumented feature.

Moved some posts from a thread had the prefix IMPORTANT into a new thread, with no prefix.

But email post notifications for this new thread have the old prefix in front of the subject.

Original thread the posts were moved from: https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/housekeeping.17581/

New thread formed by moved posts: https://cafesaxophone.com/threads/british-language-and-dialects-moved.25549/

Email notification: IMPORTANT - British language and dialects (moved) - New reply to watched thread

I'm guessing that as this was a while ago, analysing this may be difficult at this stage.

But we're slightly confused by some of the detail here. Not least because we can't reproduce it, but particularly this bit:
Email notification: IMPORTANT - British language and dialects (moved) - New reply to watched thread
We don't trigger an email notification when you move posts out of a thread into a new one. If we did, it wouldn't be "New reply to watched thread" that would only happen if someone replies to a thread you're watching.

When you move posts into a new thread, by default the thread prefix is pre-filled with the existing prefix. Is it possible the new thread was created with the existing prefix, someone replied, and then the prefix was removed?

We don't trigger an email notification when you move posts out of a thread into a new one. If we did, it wouldn't be "New reply to watched thread" that would only happen if someone replies to a thread you're watching.

No, that was not a notification of moved posts (as you say that doesn't happen) but a notification of a reply to the thread created by the moved posts.

The only logical explanation for that to happen then is if the thread actually had that prefix at the time those replies were posted.

Is that possible?

The only logical explanation for that to happen then is if the thread actually had that prefix at the time those replies were posted.

Is that possible?

I admit that does seem a likely explanation but not in this case because it was removed at the time of moving. The actual reason for moving was these were frivolous off topic posts in an important thread, hence I removed the prefix at the time of moving them, as it made no sense to keep the IMPORTANT! prefix there.

Could be some cache issue?

No, there wouldn't be any cache issues involved there.

The email would only contain the prefix if that prefix was on the xf_thread record. That would only happen if it wasn't removed when moving, and presumably the replies were made before the prefix was removed.

By all means, feel free to put this down to PICNIC, and let the bug report fade away as an unpleasant and insignificant irrelevance.

But I will swear to my dying day it happened.

Top Bottom