1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 move to subdomain

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by flitigalisa, Jan 27, 2015.

1. flitigalisa

flitigalisa Active Member

My site is not working out the way I'd like to do so now I wanna reinstate my former frontpage. The xenforo install then need to move to a subdomain.

Downloading the files from mydomain.com and uploading them to the xenforo.mydomain.com I totally get but what steps do I need to take for the database to connect to the site in the new location.

I read the FAQs on the subject but don't understand it. Can someone please help me with a good explanation in how to do it!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to change config.php if the database details remain the same.

3. flitigalisa

Ok forgive my naive stupidity but do you mean all I need to do is to move the files from one directory to another? o_O

4. Brogan

If you were moving to a new directory or to the root, yes.
    For a sub domain, you will need to ensure the server is configured accordingly.

Don't forget you will also need to implement redirection.

5. flitigalisa

Now I'm back in not understanding anything:oops: What do you mean with the server configuration? And redirection, for what?

6. Brogan

7. flitigalisa

I did but I don't understand them :(

8. Brogan

There's not really much more I can add.

You will need to configure the sub domain and implement redirects.

Your host should be able to help you with the first part.
    You can use the example in the FAQ for the second.

9. flitigalisa

Well since I don't understand the explanation in the FAQs I really cannot work according to them can I?