move to HTTPS?

CFMack

I am considering purchasing an SSL certificate for my site. I've read a lot of posts here about difficulties, problems, etc. Will my host be able to accomplish this on their own? Do I need to do anything on my end? What does it mean when I see "force HTTPS?" Is that something to consider? I really don't know anything about this, so any guidance would be appreciated.

I did it on my site, my hosting took care of it all, I just went into the admin panel of the Forum and changed a few urls to the https and all was fine.

Thank you. I just read a guide about "forcing HTTPS." I guess this only becomes an issue if someone is using an old bookmark for the site, I'm guessing.

If your hosting provider offers cPanel it may have the ability to use the free LetsEncrypt SSL. If so that is a good option.

If your hosting provider offers cPanel it may have the ability to use the free LetsEncrypt SSL. If so that is a good option.

Don't even need cPanel for that. cPanel certainly makes it easier with a nice interface and all, but you can use Let's Encrypt on any server.

If you purchase a SSL Cert., simply provide your host with the files for your certificate (you will get those when you buy the cert.) and they should be able to set it up for you without any difficulty. If you have a control panel (cPanel, DirectAdmin, etc.) you should be able to set it up yourself from within the panel.

Don't even need cPanel for that. cPanel certainly makes it easier with a nice interface and all, but you can use Let's Encrypt on any server.
I realize that...but doing it at server level is much more involved. Most use a panel of some type - there are fewer of us that are at the CLI level of server administration.... and most of those that are at the CLI level of administration would already know the answer to the OP's question. ;)

And if using cPanel, my point was why pay for a cert when most hosts (NameCheap is a known exception) will allow you to grab one via cPanel from LetsEncrypt.

I realize that...but doing it at server level is much more involved. Most use a panel of some type

I'd actually say way more people are starting to use VPS than they are shared hosting, and aren't putting a panel on those. From the majority of posts here, I'd say a majority (at least of those asking questions) are not using a panel.

And if using cPanel, my point was why pay for a cert when most hosts (NameCheap is a known exception) will allow you to grab one via cPanel from LetsEncrypt.

No reason not to. cPanel actually has their own as well, outside of LetsEncrypt.

Apologies for the double post -- One interesting thing to note, on my forums, the little lock (URL bar) only shows up when I'm logged in.

Where would I input info for my header image? That is the one trailing with /efks60.png. I wonder what the other one is (/bf110l.png)? My logo is local.

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 9.30.23 PM.webpScreen Shot 2018-03-29 at 9.30.44 PM.webp

Last edited:
Top Bottom