Move Share Options Farther to the top

20 posts per page makes the share options almost useless. Please relocate them to the top or associate them with the first post in the thread somehow. I know I can edit templates. This needs to be addressed in the core though.

Ya Share is completely pointless way down there personally in my opinion too.

I've put the share this template in below the titlebar on thread_view only in the past myself.

I just found a site that displays the social sharing icons in a more better way: http://www.taringa.net/posts/taringa/6037794/Ayuda-Tutoriales-e-Informacion-sobre-Taringa.html

As you can see, you have the title and immediately after you can share it with big buttons and see how many people already share. I think it's a better implementation compared to XenForo that basically hides the sharing options at the bottom of the thread view page.

Hope the devs could take this one in account for 1.4 final release as it's a minor tweak with a potential huge impact.

Dusting this suggestion off.

Share buttons at the bottom are almost useless, they should be moved above the first post on thread pages (or at least have an option to place them there).

This to me seems to be a much better location:
share-buttons.webp

Last edited:
I agree, with per-post sharing I don't see the point for thread sharing at all really.
Why is the per-post sharing not working for you? It's at the top for the first post.
The per-post sharing icons are small and unrecognizable to many, especially newer members. The larger thread sharing buttons are just more obvious and since they are already on the page might as well put them to better use.

I personally do not like the format of the share posts XenForo creates. Should look into modifying it.

Post in thread 'Move Share Options Farther to the top' https://xenforo.com/community/threads/move-share-options-farther-to-the-top.66297/post-1456417 via [USER=1]@XenForo[/USER]

It is even dumber now. At the very bottom of the page and underneath the damn Similar threads. What link does a person think they are sharing at the point they are right above the footer, where most websites add their links to their social pages? Makes no sense.

It is even dumber now. At the very bottom of the page and underneath the damn Similar threads. What link does a person think they are sharing at the point they are right above the footer, where most websites add their links to their social pages? Makes no sense.
Yes, I take back what I said above. It should not be below the similar threads

Yes, I take back what I said above. It should not be below the similar threads
It makes even less sense when you look at it viewing an article node. Where the whole point is to read the article and share. Not read the article and have to scroll to the very bottom of the page, through all the comments, to then share it. The whole point of the share icons is to make it quick to share something you are interested in. When you are sharing the thread/article or whatever, the person most likely to share it will make their decision by the end of reading the title or the first paragraph.

Yes, I agree regarding articles. Maybe discussion too, but if it's under the first post a lot of people might miss that if they come in on page 18 and want to share the thread. (Of course, they ought really to read the entire thread)

Maybe it could be between first and second post? You have read what the thread is about and it is not hidden at the bottom of the page.

best placement would be to add a share link to the left of the like link. people are already used to liking posts. share would come naturally to them. though i guess you need a separate placement for sharing the actual thread link... though i believe xenforo shares the thread link from the first post share box...

... though i believe xenforo shares the thread link from the first post share box...
Herein lies the problem. The sharing as it currently exists is not as user friendly as it could be.

share.webp- I would bet most visitors and likely some admins (I being one) of XenForo had no idea what that icon meant by just looking at it initially. Hovering over it (not available on mobile) or clicking on it makes it obvious, but not as obvious as the share buttons shown below are on first site.

share2.webp - This on the other hand almost everyone universally recognizes, and wouldn't hesitate to click.

Placing the word "Share" followed by a list of social sharing icons above the first post of the thread will most likely get more use than their current placement at the bottom of the page, and more use than this less than obvious iconshare.webp.

Herein lies the problem. The sharing as it currently exists is not as user friendly as it could be.

View attachment 233996- I would bet most visitors and likely some admins (I being one) of XenForo had no idea what that icon meant by just looking at it initially. Hovering over it (not available on mobile) or clicking on it makes it obvious, but not as obvious as the share buttons shown below are on first site.

View attachment 233997 - This on the other hand almost everyone universally recognizes, and wouldn't hesitate to click.

Placing the word "Share" followed by a list of social sharing icons above the first post of the thread will most likely get more use than their current placement at the bottom of the page, and more use than this less than obvious iconView attachment 233996.
Has anyone found a solution to this? I absolutely hate how DIFFICULT it is for new users to share anything from our sites.

It's almost if as we don't want people to share posts. The share buttons should be BRIGHT and on the top of the thread.

And don't get me started about that pathetic little SHARE ICON that is visible on every message.

I'm surprised if any of the users of my site knows what that means.

They most likely pay no attention to it and I can't blame them – cuz neither did I.

Top Bottom