Lack of interest Move Admin Panel From Header To Navbar

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Car_Freak

Hello,

I’ve a quick suggestion which I’d like to see implemented in a future release of XenForo.

The permanent Admin & Mod panel on the header looks awkward and spoils look of the forum for staff.

I believe a more suitable location for these options will be in the navbar, right next to Alerts & Inbox icons.

This way, admin / moderator notifications will remain prominent without affecting overall look of the forum.

Please do consider this. In case there’s already a solution to hide that panel from header, let me know.

Thanks

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like having them at the top. They stand out more and since they are only visible to staff, t's not like it messes up your look for the vast majority of users/guests. That said, I'd have no objection if there was a configurable option to move them.

I like it where it is cause it's comfortable (from 1.x to now, over several years) and it's only visible to staff, so you're not really sacrificing "user experience" per say.

I did suggest What's New to be a bolt icon all the way through (mobile to desktop, so can remove "what's new" tab on desktop to virtually have the same UX over both platforms) and @BassMan came through with an add-on within 24hrs to accomplish this.

Possibly, you could contact him about moving the admin bar?

Just for clarification: I mean adding an icon on the left of Inbox icon.

This single icon will have a dropdown for Admin CP & Moderator Tools.

Or the Admin CP link can be on footer (as in vBulletin) while navbar icon showing the Moderator Tools.

I don’t think adding a single icon will add to clutter (in fact right now it looks cluttered to me). Anyways appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.

I completely disagree.

If you customize the nav bar and include some addons, there is already a shortage of space there.

Leave the admin bar where it is.

How often do you actually click on the moderator / admin links? Enough for them to be permanently embedded at the top of the forums? It simply isn't necessary. Granted, you may have been subjected this for a long time and developed Stockholm syndrome. :D

My two cents. You don't actually need to add anything to the nav bar. Just display the moderator link at the top when action is needed. That makes it visible when it needs to be visible. Otherwise don't display it and add them as an option with the forums drop down, but for the love of god don't permanently put those links at the top of the forum!

How often do you actually click on the moderator / admin links? Enough for them to be permanently embedded at the top of the forums? It simply isn't necessary.
I admin 4 Xenforo forums currently. For 3 of them, I click on those at least 3-4 times a day. On the busiest, it's more often than that.
for the love of god don't permanently put those links at the top of the forum!
I like them there. Even if you don't have the need to click on them very frequently, as on a slow low-membership forum, how are you harmed or inconvenienced in any way by having them there?

Might I suggest a single mission control type dashboard for managing all your forums? That would work better than having to navigate to each site to monitor.

There is already so much wasted space in the header it's just one more inconvenience but it all adds up. When I browse the xf community here on my phone I have to scroll more than 50% of the page just to get to content. Throw an admin control panel link on the top of each page and that's just another line to scroll. The point is it doesn't need to be there. There are better placements for it.

It doesn't matter to me since I'm going to take a machete to the default theme and take out 75% of the waste that doesn't need to be there. Topic titles won't have billboard sized fonts. Members won't have to scroll any more than is necessary to get to content. Admin panel definitely won't be at the top of each page. To each their own.

Car_Freak, I came up with a simple hack to hide the Staff Bar by default unless there is an alert (you can toggle display by clicking on any open space in the header). This seems to be a good compromise (only visible when it needs to be but only a click away). Note: I'm new to XF so this is just a lazy hack until I figure out how to code it properly and release it as an official mod. All you need to do is edit the phrase for "Moderator tools" and replace with:

Moderator tools<script>var staffBar = document.getElementsByClassName('p-staffBar')[0]; staffBar.style.display = staffBar.children[0].children[0].children[0].href ? '' : 'none'; setTimeout(function(){ document.getElementsByClassName('p-nav')[0].onclick = document.getElementsByClassName('p-header')[0].onclick = document.getElementsByClassName('p-nav-inner')[0].onclick = document.getElementsByClassName('p-header-content')[0].onclick = function(e){ e = window.event || e; if (!e.target) e.target = e.srcElement; if (e.target === this) staffBar.style.display = staffBar.style.display ? '' : 'none'; } ;}, 100);</script>

Last edited:
Thanks, i will have a look at it later this week! If it works like i want to i'll send you a PM for your paypal account to make a small donation! :)

Top Bottom